Why become a member? ×

Help needed with sound

paddy109

Hi all - now I really dont confess to be anything but a novice when it comes to sound and setting up and really need some help. My issue is bottom end sound is a bit undefined and not punchy enough. D and G sound good but overall I would like more thump and definition.

I am playing Strunal 50/4 with Innovation golden slaps - k&k bassmax - fishman pro plat - ashdown giant effects return - gk 212mbe.

The band plays a mix of country, bluegrass style.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

All down to EQ pal- your gear is certainly good enough to get you a good sound. Lose the low frequencies and boost the low mids and go from there- keep all other frequencies flat until you have the sound you like. I know people that simply remove all bass and then add until they get the bottom they like. You would be surprised how little bass you need when playing at volume- it is these bass frequencies that will muddy up your tone and make you less defined.

OK - messed about with my sound this morning (poor neighbours).
Definitely sounds better but difficult to know how good this will sound at a gig but I have a good place to start.
Thanks for the advice - I think I assumed that ramping the bass up would help!
Paddy.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1354719443' post='1889545']
I usually find that the scratchier/middier it sounds on its own, the better it will be in the mix. Whereas when I`ve got a great bassy sound on it`s own, it just sludges in the mix, being all wallowy.
[/quote]

Could we get this on a t-shirt or something?

Keep playing with the EQ, try putting everything on 5 then moving one dial at a time too see what they do.

If you still can't find something you like, you could try a compressor, they can help with definition and punch.

Most important thing is that you will find you sound different in a mix to solo. Don't EQ yourself on your own then get disheartened if you don't sound as good in a mix. Get your band to jam and play with the EQ then.

[quote name='paddy109' timestamp='1354718610' post='1889523']
OK - messed about with my sound this morning (poor neighbours).
Definitely sounds better but difficult to know how good this will sound at a gig but I have a good place to start.
Thanks for the advice - I think I assumed that ramping the bass up would help!
Paddy.
[/quote]

Also bear in mind that you're stood close to the amp,those low frequencies are big long soundwaves and it will likely sound very different to an audience.

Also remember the Fletcher-Munson curves - ie what we hear at lower volume levels is not the same as at higher levels. So sat in a bedroom with the amp down low won't same the same (nevermind room acoustics) as in a gig situation (nevermind the rest of the band playing as well).

Fletcher-Munson? Now that makes sense then - at home and I have my amp fairly loud my sound can sound pretty good. As soon as I ramp the volume and play with the band my sound goes all to sh*t!

Thanks for all the top advice - will sort it in practice tonight and gig tomorrow.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1354789125' post='1890307']
Also bear in mind that you're stood close to the amp,those low frequencies are big long soundwaves and it will likely sound very different to an audience.
[/quote]

Nothing to do with wavelength per se, everything to do with the room acoustics....

Thanks guys- just got back from a gig in Bristol and my DB sounded so much better and I was even able to keep my volume down and cut through the mix with a good thump.
My band all commented how good my sound was and even asked me to turn down a little - that's a first.
Respect.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1354978540' post='1892555']
That`s the power of increased mids, methinks.
[/quote]

true. Regardless of what I do with the amp at home (usually flat, with cut bass) I nearly always find myself adding mids at gigs.
I always have the mids on the bass a little past the centre detent too anyway.