Why become a member? ×

Dave Sturt - Awesome Bassist with Gong

xilddx

I saw Gong a couple of weeks ago, Dave Sturt was on bass, Vigier with a brass fretless fingerboard, MacBook Pro, floor board and Markbass. He was AMAZING! My kind of bassist.

I wonder does anyone know anything about his rig? I'd love to know what he was running. Cheers.

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1354565609' post='1887517']
Brass fretless fingerboard, wow! I like Gong & have just checked their tour dates and they are in Exeter on Dec 14th, but no tickets left.
[/quote]

Trust me, he's the sh*t! Try and see them, it was a great gig!

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1354570999' post='1887643']
What happened to Keith missile bass?
[/quote]
Here and Now supported Gong in Liverpool a few weeks ago, it was Enochian Theory in London (I really enjoyed them and bought the album). Keith Tha Bass is on Facebook and every morning he does a charming little reflection on the weather :) He's still playing with Here and Now.

[quote name='grahamd' timestamp='1354573846' post='1887702']
Thanks for the heads up. And whilst were on the subject Mike Howlett is a great unsung player, him and Pierre Moerlen...
[/quote]
Mike Howlett is a fabulous player, he's a mate of an old friend of mine I play with in London Zulu. I met Mike after the Gong gig in London a couple of years ago, he's a charming gentleman! He lives in Australia now. Pierre Moerlen's Gong is really lovely, Time is the Key is a great album!

Edited by silddx

Hi all - I just got a Google alert about this thread - I think I joined Basschat a few years ago but I'm afraid I haven't visited since!

So - silldx - thanks very much for your comment. I've been having a fantastic time on the Gong tour - we started in France in October, went to Holland, Switzerland, the UK and finished in Japan a few days ago. (So sorry Mep - you've missed it)

To clarify the equipment I'm using - your right about the Vigier fretless - though the fingerboard is actually Delta metal - it's like brass but is harder - it is an absolutely superb bass!

The Markbass gear is a Little Mark Tube 800 and Two 604 cabs - although in Tokyo I used a Momark black 800 and a Standard 104HF cab.

The pedal board is a Keith McMillan Softstep - a very versatile MIDI pedalboard that is also very small and light - so perfect for touring.

I used a Focusrite Saffire audio interface.

On the Macbook Pro I'm using Ableton Live - I have one channel as a bass effects unit - using various plug ins - and other channels of various sound samples that I've programmed to augment some of the songs and provide soundscapes.

btw - which gig were you at?

Hi Dave!

...let's not forget his nifty Basswork with the legend that is Bill Nelson....

[url="http://bigplansforeverybody.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/bill-nelson-night-creatures-from.html"]http://bigplansforeverybody.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/bill-nelson-night-creatures-from.html[/url]

Mike Howlett is currently in the UK, he was recording at the London College of Music last weekend, he lectured there with us for a couple of years before heading for Australia.

It was great to see him again, and he is, as Sildxx says, a real gent.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1354562024' post='1887431']
I wonder does anyone know anything about his rig? I'd love to know what he was running. Cheers.
[/quote]

[left][s]I know that he uses 2 Mark Bass New York 604's and I am fairly confident, a little mark tube or little mark tube 800 head.[/s][/left]

GAH! Just seen the damn post. sorry.

Edited by jaydentaku

[quote name='davesturt' timestamp='1354656568' post='1888904']
Hi all - I just got a Google alert about this thread - I think I joined Basschat a few years ago but I'm afraid I haven't visited since!

So - silldx - thanks very much for your comment. I've been having a fantastic time on the Gong tour - we started in France in October, went to Holland, Switzerland, the UK and finished in Japan a few days ago. (So sorry Mep - you've missed it)

To clarify the equipment I'm using - your right about the Vigier fretless - though the fingerboard is actually Delta metal - it's like brass but is harder - it is an absolutely superb bass!

The Markbass gear is a Little Mark Tube 800 and Two 604 cabs - although in Tokyo I used a Momark black 800 and a Standard 104HF cab.

The pedal board is a Keith McMillan Softstep - a very versatile MIDI pedalboard that is also very small and light - so perfect for touring.

On the Macbook Pro I'm using Ableton Live - I have one channel as a bass effects unit - using various plug ins - and other channels of various sound samples that I've programmed to augment some of the songs and provide soundscapes.

[/quote]

Dave, what a delight to make contact on BC. You really were very inspiring and wonderful to hear. I'm ashamed to say I'd not heard of you until I did some research after the show :) Thanks so much for sharing your rig! Do you use any expression pedals?

I myself use a POD X3 LIVE but I'm starting to think I could use my MacBook and a Floorboard, I like the immense flexibility, even though the POD is fabulous, I'm limited to the firmware. I want to get more synth stuff going on. I also have a Focusrite Saffire. Those [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Keith McMillan Softsteps look great![/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I was at the London show at the Shepherd's Bush Empire. You all [/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]looked like you were having a ball :) I've been a huge Gong and Hillage fan since about 1980, and never had a chance to see either live until recently. The new band is fantastic![/color][/font]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Thanks again for sharing Dave![/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]----------------------------------------[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]For anyone who missed it, here's a clip from just in front of where I was, watching my new bass hero, Dave Sturt :D [/font][/color]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--vHjDLqjdU

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SASNMC_VCuA[/media]

Edited by silddx

[quote name='YouMa' timestamp='1354664477' post='1889027']
Anyone know what hillage is up to at the moment? I always like the bass guy on the live herald album.
[/quote]

Mr Hillside resides in London and is busy with System 7, with Miquette. It was great to see him with his own band and with Gong a couple of years ago!

I liked all the artwork for the albums especially the colours on flying teapot. The reason i first had a listen was mainly due to the weirdness. I think ozric tentacles did a pretty good job to. R.I.P. Roly wynn one of my favourite players on the early stuff.

[quote name='YouMa' timestamp='1354664960' post='1889032']
Mr Hillside resides in London and is busy with System 7, with Miquette. It was great to see him with his own band and with Gong a couple of years ago! [/quote]
managed to get to see him with the reformed steve village band a few years back. they were supporting gong and basically shared all the musicians.

Edited by paul torch

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1354663423' post='1889004'] Dave, what a delight to make contact on BC. You really were very inspiring and wonderful to hear. I'm ashamed to say I'd not heard of you until I did some research after the show :) Thanks so much for sharing your rig! Do you use any expression pedals? I myself use a POD X3 LIVE but I'm starting to think I could use my MacBook and a Floorboard, I like the immense flexibility, even though the POD is fabulous, I'm limited to the firmware. I want to get more synth stuff going on. I also have a Focusrite Saffire. Those [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Keith McMillan Softsteps look great![/font][/color] [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I was at the London show at the Shepherd's Bush Empire. You all [/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]looked like you were having a ball :) I've been a huge Gong and Hillage fan since about 1980, and never had a chance to see either live until recently. The new band is fantastic![/color][/font] [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Thanks again for sharing Dave![/font][/color] [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]----------------------------------------[/font][/color] [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][/quote]

I use a cheap Bespeco VM 13 swell pedal - it seems to work fine - and is really light (something that I find more and more appealing these days).

I'm sure there are some youtube clips of the Gong tour with better audio than these - I'll have to do some browsing. We recorded many of the gigs - so, hopefully, we'll get around to releasing a live CD/DVD at some time.

I played with the Steve Hillage Band around Europe (as support to Gong) a couple of years ago - I'm optimistic that there will be something happening again in the not too distant future. Here's a clip from the Zappanale festival in Germany - [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PADGJhoBwmA[/media]

[quote name='davesturt' timestamp='1354836913' post='1891210']
I use a cheap Bespeco VM 13 swell pedal - it seems to work fine - and is really light (something that I find more and more appealing these days).

I'm sure there are some youtube clips of the Gong tour with better audio than these - I'll have to do some browsing. We recorded many of the gigs - so, hopefully, we'll get around to releasing a live CD/DVD at some time.

I played with the Steve Hillage Band around Europe (as support to Gong) a couple of years ago - I'm optimistic that there will be something happening again in the not too distant future. Here's a clip from the Zappanale festival in Germany - [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PADGJhoBwmA[/media]
[/quote]

Thanks Dave, the sound quality was rubbish! So thanks for this one :) I hope a good DVD is released as it deserves to be. Octave Doctors is one of my favourites, great playing all round on this, although Steve's guitar sounds a little dry, it was massive at the show I went to, great big panned delays. I must have seen the Hillage/Gong tour the same year you were on it in Europe, but clearly Mike was playing bass on the UK leg.

I LOVE your soundscape type stuff. I can't leave my swell pedal alone, but I feel like I need more flexibility than the POD can offer these days so I may well go your route at some point.

Thanks again, I appreciate your taking the time to post this interesting and useful information.

[quote name='davesturt' timestamp='1354836913' post='1891210']

[/quote]
that's great. I assume you were playing with them at the Lounge on the Farm gig in Canterbury. I thought the sound was great and was so made up to finally hear all those tracks live. I'm a huge Gong fan but this was my first chance of seeing the Steve Hillage band perform (even my teenage daughter was impressed). Would be great if there was to be more gigs.

[quote name='davesturt' timestamp='1354656568' post='1888904']

[/quote]

Great to hear from you Dave. Thanks for posting on this thread. There is plenty of love for Gong & Hillage on Basschat. Hopefully you will check in from time to time. I have double checked Dec 14th and it appears that Kangeroo Moon are in Exeter. I'll keep look out for your next tour.

[quote name='paul torch' timestamp='1354865099' post='1891303']
that's great. I assume you were playing with them at the Lounge on the Farm gig in Canterbury. I thought the sound was great and was so made up to finally hear all those tracks live. I'm a huge Gong fan but this was my first chance of seeing the Steve Hillage band perform (even my teenage daughter was impressed). Would be great if there was to be more gigs.
[/quote]

Hi Paul - yes that was my first SHB gig - nerve wracking but a real thrill! .... all I can say about more gigs is - there's talk!

Silddx - yes Mike Howlett did the UK tour in 2009 - I did all of the European dates and I've done all the Gong gigs since then. Mike moved to Australia for a teaching post - he's a great player and producer - I learned a lot from listening to his playing - he's got a great take on funk - he often displaces the beat just when you're not expecting it!
As for my ambient thing - it's something I've always been into - and it's surfaced on the stuff I've done with Cipher (with Theo Travis) and Jade Warrior (and Orchestra Futura with Bill Nelson - not recorded as yet) - but I feel as though I'm taking it onto another level now - I just need to find the time to finish that difficult first solo album!

Oh, and, Mep - I play bass with Kangaroo Moon when they can afford to have an extra member! I usually post on Facecloth when I'm playing - I don't think I'm doing Dec 14th!

I will def keep in touch with Basschat - it looks like a great resource - with lots of knowledgeable members!