Why become a member? ×

Help with cab dilemma please.

Amazoman

Hi,
I need a different cab but here starts the dilemma.
The reviews on the Genz Benz Focus series suggest they are good sounding, relatively light and
they are certainly in the right price bracket.

I think I would like the 2x10-T ,for its portability, but can only find a you tube clip with Ed, the bass whisperer demoing a 4 x10. I do not really need a 4x10 for the venue I play ie Church but would I regret not getting one in the future.

By the way my amp head is an Orange AD200B Mk3. This is obviously rated at 200watts, it measures at slightly under actually! How would this match up with the cabs mentioned above?

Another spanner in the works is a thread where lots of people are raving about the GK 212 MBE. Which is also priced right at the moment,How does this compare with the focus series?

OR would I be better saving a bit more and getting a second hand Markbass which seem to come up quite often in the for sale section. I say Markbass because weight is an issue at 57 years old I can't carry like I used to.

Your thoughts appreciated

Hey there pal, I've got a GK 212 MBE on the way (was it my thread you were talking about? http://basschat.co.uk/topic/192845-dilemma-4x8-ashdown-mini-genz-benz-2x10-other/). No experience with the Genz Benz Focus series but I'll be posting a review (and possibly a tone video/mp3) when I have it.

I can't imagine at church you will be needing volume approaching anywhere near the capabilities of ANY 2x10 or 2x12 (and I speak as an experienced church player).
It doesn't really matter what your amp is rated at. You can run a 1000W amp through a 150W max cab if you are sensible with the master volume. contrastingly, you could probably break the cones of a 600W cab with your 200W amp with full volume super bass heavy tones. But be rest assured that at church, even if it is a massive mega church, you will not be pushing any of those cabs. In fact, if you are looking for portability, certainly look at 1x12's too. The GK 112 neo is a fine cab, at a very decent price too. LIght too. There are also others.
Personally I wouldn't buy from the GK MBE range. They are built down to a price with cheap, nasty tweeters, and well documented issues with "boom" for many, many users. Genz Benz make fine cabs though. I would trust any of their range.

[quote name='Amazoman' timestamp='1354060940' post='1881707']
OR would I be better saving a bit more and getting a second hand Markbass which seem to come up quite often in the for sale section. I say Markbass because weight is an issue at 57 years old I can't carry like I used to.
[/quote]

Even the Markbass 410s are fairly heavy (though still much lighter than many). The one I`m selling is over 50lbs, and that`s the reason I`m selling - I can`t handle 50lb cabs anymore. That said, if I lived in a house, or ground floor flat with no stairs, it wouldn`t be a problem, as all you need is a good set of castors. But stairs, they`re a no-no.

Have a look at Epi UL series. They seem to crop up here quite a bit and you'll have light weight and
quality in one package.

For church rooms, I'd be thinking of a 210, but maybe the 12's will be ok as well, alth not my choice in a 'fat' room on the face of things...
I would also think Markbass as they are fine at low volume..

Not sure about the yellow and Orange colour scheme tho :lol: :lol:

Take a look at the Barefaced Midget T, very light, as loud as most 2x10's (allegedly...) and very cute. Throw Alex an email on the site, he can advise better than I.

I've just replaced the need for an 8x10 with a Big Twin I can lift with one hand...!

[url="http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/midget.htm"]http://barefacedbass...ange/midget.htm[/url]

Should work well with your Orange.

Sorry just realised this might be out of your price range, ignore me as appropriate...!

Edited by WinterMute

Thanks all for your input.
To respond to your comments.
It was your thread I was reading with interest Ultima and all the best with your purchase.

Mr. Foxen I don't need very loud for Church use but I do occasionally get asked to do weddings, charity events etc where a bit more umph is needed but these are few and far between. I wasn't sure if a 2x10 would suffice on these occasions. Sorry for my ignorance but I'm not sure what you mean when you ask 'Do you want any drive from the power section?'

chris b- No the cab would not stay at church it would need to be portable, brought home and taken back upstairs so I assume a 4x 10 is out of the question then Lozz. I have seen the one you are advertising.

As for price, the fact that the Genz Benz Focus are being advertised at about £255 for the 2x10 and £365 for the 4x10 was about my maximum. I would love a Barefaced and have actually had a couple of emails with Alex but the price is a little out of reach at the moment.

Thanks also Hamfist for your comments.

I am currently using a Laney Richter 1x 15. Cheap and cheerful which I dont think is showing the amp up to its best!!

Yes, if having to cart the cab about, especially upstairs, then, as you`ve said, portability has to be the key. A good 210 second hand off of here would be a better bet than a new 210 for the same cost though. Keeping your eyes open, for the budget you`ll most likely pick up a cab that would be some £500 - £600 new.

Having just bought a Markbass 1x12 combo, and 1x12 ext speaker, I`ve been knocked out by the performance, whereas before I`d never have believed so much sound could come from two tiny little boxes, so I would think that for weddings, a quality 210 should be sufficient. Which is a major turnaround for me - I was always convince a 410 was the minimum I needed.