Why become a member? ×

83' Fullerton P

BB2000

[quote name='BB2000' timestamp='1354035556' post='1881242']
I'm going to have to sell my Fullerton '83 reissue burst '57. Do you think it would be worth holding on to it until it's 30th birthday? Don't these collectors have some stupid notion of a bass being "vintage" at 30?
[/quote]
'Vintage' is pretty much a moveable feast, so I wouldn't expect that hanging on to it for a few months is going to make any difference to it's price.

I'm going to have to sell my Fullerton '83 reissue burst '57. Do you think it would be worth holding on to it until it's 30th birthday? Don't these collectors have some stupid notion of a bass being "vintage" at 30?
[/quote]

For me, vintage is, and will always be, pre-CBS (Assuming we're talking about Fenders that is. With other makes, its depends on key milestones, such as Musicman, anything pre-EB I would happily class as a 'vintage' Stingray. Gibson's, it's pre-68, Rickenbackers, pre-'70. An Alembic Series 1 would sit ok with me being cal;led vintage. Thats just me. Anything 70's isnt vintage to me, but maybe thats my age, if I was 20 years old, I'd probably call an '87 Thumb bass vintage!! :lol:

I don't think holding on for a few months will affect the price in the slightest. I may even be interested in it, does it have the case and original Fullerton candy (Manual, tag, strap, cable etc), raised pole pickups? Any pics?

[/quote]

whats the serial number

what r the neck and body dates

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1354447974' post='1885972']
1983....are those the ones with machine head bullet type truss rod adjustment, as opposed to body end.....or did I dream that?
[/quote]
You must have dreamt it. :) On AV Precisions, reverse tuners and body end "remove neck to adjust"-type truss rod nut is the norm, and has always been AFAIK.

Here's pics of my 83 (bottom pic) and 84 (top pic)headstocks. Confusion has arisen as 83 was a transition period with parts being used up. However, 83-85 Standrad Jazzes and Precisions didn't have bullet truss rods adjusters. This was the time when the bi-flex truss rod was introduced hence the change in adjusters.

Edited by Hutton

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1354644833' post='1888679']
Incorrect.
[/quote]

I guess I made an mistake for using "bullet".. I thought you were saying that trussrods were at the bottom on the neck,as I claim it's on the top (at the headstock)

that's my American 1983 Precision bass

Edited by dragan

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1354701650' post='1889224']
Here's pics of my 83 (bottom pic) and 84 (top pic)headstocks. Confusion has arisen as 83 was a transition period with parts being used up. However, 83-85 Standrad Jazzes and Precisions didn't have bullet truss rods adjusters. This was the time when the bi-flex truss rod was introduced hence the change in adjusters.

[/quote]

This.

[quote name='dragan' timestamp='1354718121' post='1889509']
I guess I made an mistake for using "bullet".. I thought you were saying that trussrods were at the bottom on the neck,as I claim it's on the top (at the headstock)
[/quote]

No probs, bullet truss, is the large chrome dome (Bullet), that sticks out of the truss rod plug, at the headstock, on a 3-bolt neck plate.

'82 era Fullerton vintage reissues (V serial) have traditional heel end truss adjustment, and walnut plugs at the headstock, as the originals. The '83 Dan Smith type models (as these pics), and generally E-series, tend to have the headstock adjustment, with an attempt at concealment, within a classic styled plug (Plastic, not walnut).

Prices of these follow are lower than the historical high of a few years ago, when SOME units sold for astronomical prices. They have gone back down now a bit and are the great value top shelf Fenders they were for years. I was really lucky to get a minty '83 P in Oly White in 2005 or thereabouts for $1200 from Elderly Instruments; it had literally been on the site for a few minutes, not described as a Fullerton, and I pulled the trigger before asking any questions. Turned into my main bass and the one I always gig now.

I'd love a '57, the two I've played sounded incredible and had interesting V shaped necks, but they were two tone S/B which I don't like at all. if a custom colour one came up for sale at a decent price I wouldn't hesitate.

Where's the OP?