Why become a member? ×

How do you play up past the 12th fret without pain and suffering?

thepurpleblob

The stuff I play rarely gets up the dusty end but I've been trying some (slightly) more adventurous stuff recently. However I am finding this very difficuly. I'm getting lots of pain and cramp in my fretting hand - mostly at the base of my thumb. It feels very awkward and cramped to play for any amount of time up here.

I assume the answer is "practice, practice" but any tips appreciated.

It sounds as if its a technique problem. When you're playing normally do you have the bass slung high or low? Do you tend to wrap your thumb over the top of the fret board or position it in the centre of the neck? Having the bass low and thumb over the top may cause you problems. If you post some pics of your bass / hands it may help us offer advice :-)

[quote name='Acebassmusic' timestamp='1353878924' post='1879377']
It sounds as if its a technique problem. When you're playing normally do you have the bass slung high or low? Do you tend to wrap your thumb over the top of the fret board or position it in the centre of the neck? Having the bass low and thumb over the top may cause you problems. If you post some pics of your bass / hands it may help us offer advice :-)
[/quote]

Just to add to the above - is there a sharp bend in the wrist on your fretting hand? If that's the case, then as Acebassmusic has said, you may have to adjust your strap height. That should help in getting your wrist straighter as sharp bends in the wrist stop blood from flowing into the tendons.

Another thing - is there a lot of tension in your wrist when you play? That may be another factor?

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1353877614' post='1879346']
The stuff I play rarely gets up the dusty end but I've been trying some (slightly) more adventurous stuff recently. However I am finding this very difficuly. I'm getting lots of pain and cramp in my fretting hand - mostly at the base of my thumb. It feels very awkward and cramped to play for any amount of time up here.

I assume the answer is "practice, practice" but any tips appreciated.
[/quote]

I came on here because i am getting some pain at the base of my left thumb too, and i play "give it away" nearly every time i pick up the bass. I never thought my technique was so poor, but clearly it is.

My thumb normally lies longways along the back of the neck when playing the low notes, and upright just below the middle of the neck in the high notes.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1353881886' post='1879430']
At the moment, the bass is sat on my knee. I tend to play with my thumb around the back. Having thought about it - I think the problem is that I can't get my pinky onto the fretboard without a lot of strain. I have to really bend my wrist until it hurts to get it to the A string.
[/quote]

That doesn't sound good - try adjusting your strap until you get to a point where the wrist of your fretting hand is reasonably straight. You should be able to comfortably wear the bass in both sitting and standing positions. Is your thumb resting on the back of the fingerboard, or is it curled over?

Edited by louisthebass

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1353934248' post='1879833']
I don't think I ever curl my thumb over - I was never a guitarist :)

I also don't practice with a strap. I just sit the thing on my knee. Is that a bad plan? It's fine for down the thin end for the last n years.
[/quote]

I like to wear my strap even when sitting down. Bass is in the same place when I stand and sit, and it also takes weight off of your arms and hands from keeping it in place. Might only be a bit, especially if it dives, but it's wasted energy.
Maybe seating position? I prefer classical, as it feels like I'm standing up and my back isn't twisted. Keeping it nice and straight.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1353938358' post='1879927']
Sounds to me that you are using too much pressure to fret the notes. You had the strength to do this when you were three, you just need to use your hand more efficiently and relax it. It should not be that hard to fret a note anywhere on the neck.
[/quote]

I'm gonna use that quote. :-)

Shim that neck - it's like lowering the action on just the dusty end. :P

Seriously though, I'd recommend getting your technique looked at by a bass tutor. It'll probably just need the one lesson and will save you loads in physiotherapy bills later on.