Why become a member? ×

Adding a J pickup to a P Bass

JPJ

Hi all,

I'm currently assembling a bitsa fretless 'workhorse' bass and will be adding a J pickup to a stock P shaped bass. Anybody know where the sweet spot position is for maximum J bass style growl i.e. where in the space between the P pickup and the bridge? I'd hate to just attack the thing with my router and find that I was just a few mil away from the optimum spot!

Cheers,

Kev

I've fitted a fair few over the years and have settled on a placement where the J is 60mm back from the 'treble' half of the P pickup - that's pole to pole centres.

The precise distance for a 60s Jazz bridge pickup has the effect of it 'bumping' into the scratchplate so spoils the look. And if you go any further back you the response becomes a bit too thin.

Others may have different opinions of course ;)

[quote name='The Bass Doc' timestamp='1353703098' post='1877749']
I've fitted a fair few over the years and have settled on a placement where the J is 60mm back from the 'treble' half of the P pickup - that's pole to pole centres.

The precise distance for a 60s Jazz bridge pickup has the effect of it 'bumping' into the scratchplate so spoils the look. And if you go any further back you the response becomes a bit too thin.

Others may have different opinions of course ;)
[/quote]

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1353704530' post='1877769']
What he said. Just get it to look right.
[/quote]

Thank you gentlemen, wish me luck, the router is coming out to play in the morning B)

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1353710438' post='1877842']
why dont you add a JJ (humbucker)? Ive done this to a P and used a62 wiring scheme with .100 cap on the P and a .022 on the J, pure heaven! if i was to do a similar thing again i would definetly do exactly the same thing.

sorry for mistakes texting from mobile :-)
[/quote]

No problem, but this 'project' started off with Fender's Tony Franklin fretless bass. I got to try one of these at our very own WaterofTyne's abode some whiles ago, and fell in love with the feel/balance/sound of a fretless precision with the added J. I was going to just build a clone but I can't help but fiddle about based on my last thirty odd years of low-end endeavours, so with this one its going to be P + J into a passive stack knob jazz style controls to maintain the stock Fender P two knobs and an output jack look.

I have found that a J is very versatile to add to a P. I use a humbucking J, DiMarzio UltraJazz, on my custom fanned fret bass. I recommend an end-to-end coil humbucker J bridge pickup, like a DiMarzio UltraJazz or J model, or Aguilar, or Fralin noiseless so it doesn't all of a sudden hum when you adjust the pickups. A Seymour Duncan Vintage Stack or Fender Noiseless Jazz will also work, although I am not a fan of stack pickup designs, as to my ears they can get muddy on the fundamental.

Moreover, I really don't pop-and-slap much, so I added a .01 capacitor inline from the hot lead of the J bridge pickup to the wiper on the volume control so that any phase, comb filtering, or impedance volume drop that can occur on a 2-pickup bass is eliminated.

Oh -- where to mount the J pickup: the '60's position is centerlined at 1/16th of the scale length from the fingerboard edge of the nut, which is 34/16 = 2 1/8 inches from the nominal saddle position before string compensation, or 31 7/8 from the edge of the nut, and the '70's position is centerlined @ .40 inches closer to the bridge than that, so the entire pickup including the mounting flanges is underneath the pickup cover. Mine is between the two.

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/fender-jazzbass-75-bridge-pickup-position-326658/"]http://www.talkbass....osition-326658/[/url]

Edited by iiipopes

All good popints made. However before you go butchering your P bass you must consider whether or not you are destroying the value of your bass in its current configuration. Old P basses are expensive today but those that have been altered in this fashion have seen their value stay rather low in comparision to a bog standard factory built model. No collector in years to come would touch it. Personally I'd prefer to sell the P and buy a real Fender PJ model if that is what you want - and probably protectring your investment to boot.

Just a point to consider my friend. All best.

[quote name='rednose200' timestamp='1353802171' post='1878672']
All good points made. However before you go butchering your P bass....[/quote]

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1353698094' post='1877684']I'm currently assembling a bitsa fretless 'workhorse' bass....[/quote]

The OP is building from scratch, not "butchering" anything. Sky's the limit. Open season. The only consideration is not spending more than a new P-J would cost, unless it's to get a custom feature or something bespoke to fit the OP's ergonomics or playing style better that will earn its keep in the long run.

Edited by iiipopes

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1353721617' post='1877916']
My current bass is a PJ and I've never used the J pickup. I've found that the sound doesn't need the J if you have a really good P pickup.
[/quote]

If for no other reason... P basses should have Jazz pups fitted so that you have somewhere sensible to rest your thumb! ;)

I'm sure your bass will be routed by now mate but my Sadowsky PJ has the jazz pup mounted in the 60's spot (see Howie etc above) and I prefer it for the slightly fuller tone you get, even when blended. However, the Sado was designed with that position in mind but I did have a USA P bass a couple of years back that someone fitted a J to and they mounted it 60's stylee and needed to chamfer the back edge of the scratchplate to make it more comfortable to play.

Sado 60's position (designed to be thus)

[IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/warwickhunt/100_2336.jpg[/IMG]

USA P bass 60's position (retrofitted)

[IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/warwickhunt/100_1140.jpg[/IMG]