Why become a member? ×

Embarrassing video

shizznit

I just found out that a video of me sound checking at a studio session I did yesterday has been posted onto YouTube and Facebook. I had no idea I was being video recorded. It has already had 214 hits on YouTube since it was uploaded this morning.

I wasn't really playing anything musical...just trying to lay down a good recording tone before hitting my track. So, lots of weird notes which to a novice would sound like crappy playing. In essence, it appears that I can't play more than two notes in a row.

Exposure is very important for me so that I can get leads or referrals to other work to make my bread and butter as a full-time musician. Public displays like this does not do me any favours. Naturally, I have contacted the person who took the footage to remove it from YouTube and Facebook. I know they probably uploaded with the best intentions, but I am a bit embarrassed about it. Just wished he uploaded what I did 5mins later then I would have a problem!

Am I being unreasonable or do you think I am we'll within my rights to ask the author to remove the video?

Can you not just comment on the video explaining that it's not really playing? Just getting the sound right, a line check as it were?

I'd personally make a joke of it, we after all can't be expected to be on 100% form 100% of the time, but I do understand that you have a reputation you're building. Ask him if he has any later footage of you playing.

Dan

Sounds reasonable to me - its your reputation, and they clearly didn't ask if you were ok with it. People just don't think about these things. If it was a singer, chances are they would have been a lot more careful.

There are numerous embarrassing/not exactly great vids of me around...but no one is looking much, so I don't think I've suffered....yet!

I have been told that the video has been removed from YouTube, but not Facebook. Not so bothered about Facebook that much (if you are friends with me on Facebook you can check it out). Fair enough, the author just called me and apologised, so water under the bridge.

I understand that certain things are out of my control, such as a punter recording me whilst performing and I would have no idea what they will do with the footage. Thats fine, but in a controlled environment I feel a bit different about how my recordings both audio and video is being used for when my name is being mentioned.

Edited by shizznit

I think you are well within your rights to ask the individual to remove it , not least of all because it would have been only have been good manners for him to ask your permission before posting it . Why not post a video of you doing yourself justice ( either in collaboration with this guy or on your own account ) ? Lots of us on here would love to see it , and no doubt be very supportive , and there is no question that Youtube can be a very powerful tool for gaining exposure , to say the least . And anyone who plays the bass knows all about the whole playing a few notes to get the sound set up routine that we all go through , so I wouldn't worry too much about this clip that has now been taken down . You aren't going to be the Youtube bass player equivalent of Tulisa .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1353683923' post='1877430']
I think you are well within your rights to ask the individual to remove it , not least of all because it would have been only have been good manners for him to ask your permission before posting it . Why not post a video of you doing yourself justice ( either in collaboration with this guy or on your own account ) ? Lots of us on here would love to see it , and no doubt be very supportive , and there is no question that Youtube can be a very powerful tool for gaining exposure , to say the least . And anyone who plays the bass knows all about the whole playing a few notes to get the sound set up routine that we all go through , so I wouldn't worry too much about this clip that has now been taken down . You aren't going to be the Youtube bass player equivalent of Tulisa .
[/quote]

YouTube is not a media platform that I have personally explored much, but I know I should look into doing something. I am not really into the webcam 'bedroom performance' thing that plasters YouTube. There's nothing wrong with it and I have enjoyed watching some very tasty playing over the years, but I would feel goofy doing that myself. That said, I have promised Jon Shuker that I will record and upload a video review onto YouTube after I receive the bass he is building for me.

Edited by shizznit

I can see what you mean , in so much as it can be difficult to the right context in which to best showcase your ability . I have half- toyed with the idea of putting a playing video on Youtube , but I would feel way too insecure . too embarrassed and too awkward to actually go through with it . I would also be worried that one of my old girlfriends that might see it and be upset by how good I still look nowadays , long since after they have given up trying and let themselves go . I would think a candid video of you actually doing a session for someone would, by coincidence , be a very good format to feature your talent , as well as potentially be a genuinely fascinating insight for a lot of people into something they have never seen. If it was something you yourself had control of and could selectively edit then you would have that security and I think it would be a lot more interesting than another of those playing your bass in the bedroom video which you dread .

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1353681924' post='1877379']
Am I being unreasonable or do you think I am we'll within my rights to ask the author to remove the video?
[/quote]
No, not unreasonable at all. The chap didn't ask permission, he took a liberty and needs a slap (figuratively speaking, of course). I would most certainly be having words.

Well, the job itself was for an artist in the States called Angie Brown, which is a pretty high profile name over there. I just didn't want her to catch eye of that video of me noodling around and losing confidence in the musician that she hired. Her name was mentioned in the video title too, so I had to respond.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1353681924' post='1877379']
I just found out that a video of me sound checking at a studio session I did yesterday has been posted onto YouTube and Facebook. I had no idea I was being video recorded. It has already had 214 hits on YouTube since it was uploaded this morning.

I wasn't really playing anything musical...just trying to lay down a good recording tone before hitting my track. So, lots of weird notes which to a novice would sound like crappy playing. In essence, it appears that I can't play more than two notes in a row.

Exposure is very important for me so that I can get leads or referrals to other work to make my bread and butter as a full-time musician. Public displays like this does not do me any favours. Naturally, I have contacted the person who took the footage to remove it from YouTube and Facebook. I know they probably uploaded with the best intentions, but I am a bit embarrassed about it. Just wished he uploaded what I did 5mins later then I would have a problem!

[/quote]

I think the least someone should dom is ask you whether they can publish.
We have a few band vids that I wouldn't post myself, deemed not good enough, and it may be the ambience, like crowd or poor audio or whatever, but it takes
a fair bit to establish a reputation and nothing at all to rubbish or downgrade it.

So, yes, I feel it is rude, at very least, to publish without permission or acknowledgement... bad form, IMO.