Why become a member? ×

Gibson SG Standard Limited - Views?

Musicman20

Hi all!

I am feeling like my bass setup is almost complete...there are a few things I like the look of but I am considering getting some more guitar gear.

I think its safe to say bass is always number one for me, but im intrigued by a few guitars recently.

I have a lovely USA Tele, but I'd like to get a nice guitar with humbuckers.

My dream would be a Musicman Albert Lee HH, but they are very expensive.

I've just seen that there are Ltd versions of the SG Standard (they proper USA Gibson's with a hardcase) in Vintage Sunburst. YUM!

I've wanted an SG for years, but I rarely get time to play guitar, and I rarely get time to play bass!

I'm very tempted to pick one up and start dedicating 30 mins every few days to getting better on guitar as I'm out of practice with it.

They are currently a very good price of £800. £800!!!

Has anyone played one?

The main differences seem to be the amazing colours, the thicker neck (I like a thick Tele neck and I love a thick P bass neck this is no issue) and the fact the board is baked maple.

I'd love to hear your views.

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by Musicman20

An SG's neck is very fragile even now! I had a Yamaha SG2000 which had a neck very similar to the 60's Gibson style you find on an SG (too small for me) but it's less fragile due to ebony board and thru neck - this would be my first suggestion due to value (great rib contour as a bonus). I'd also recommend ESP too as the build and neck are chunkier, but the looks aren't to everyone's taste.

Gibson SG's are fizzy sounding so they benefit heavily from pedals and EQ'ing, a roasted maple fretboard would create a more brittle sound...a guitar like that needs a rosewood board to round out the tone - If that's want you want i'd go Charvel Jackson. I'd look to a 2nd hand Les Paul Special/Junior VOS too if you want some more beef and body. I'm considering a VOS Les Paul 57/58/59 but the GAS comes and goes; some days I think humbuckers have a monotonous tone and others... Damn I'd like to attempt some Larry Carlton on one o them!

You'll always return to a strat or tele though, just like a jazz or precision ;)

Edited by Schnozzalee

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1353004630' post='1870439']

They are currently a very good price of £800. £800!!!

[/quote]

Gibson SG's from £474.00 here with free delivery

[url="http://www.musik-produktiv.co.uk/gibson-sg-special-faded-wb.html"]http://www.musik-produktiv.co.uk/gibson-sg-special-faded-wb.html[/url]

[url="http://www.musik-produktiv.co.uk/gibson-sg-special-faded-wc-3114421.html"]http://www.musik-produktiv.co.uk/gibson-sg-special-faded-wc-3114421.html[/url]

Every SG I've played has been completely different.

The two that I've spent the most time with belonged to guitarists I've been in bands with. One was a 70s with humbuckers and Gibson Trem system. Fantastic sound - unfortunately it goes out of tune at the slightest provocation without needing to use the trem. The owner rarely uses it, but due to the fact that it's in completely original condition it does seem to be continually going up in value so he keeps it as an investment. The other is a fairly modern one again with humbuckers but with a stop tail piece. Sounds OK but nothing special and has quite a chunky neck (which is probably why it stays in tune better) but nothing about it really justifies the Gibson name on the headstock or the price tag.

I've played others over the years and they all felt and sounded different. Of course they were all different spec models, but I've found less consistency between different SGs than I have between any other type of guitar.

I personally wouldn't buy one without trying for myself it first.