Why become a member? ×

New band tonight

Jimryan

Hi all.

There's not a lot to this post if I'm honest.

Tonight is my first rehearsal with my new band. Been trying to piece all of this together since June (finding people, the right people, money constraints, everyone's schedules, etc). Rather excited about it all.

In a nutshell,

Dead excited :-D

That is all.

James

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Went ok...Ish (not really).

The drummer is solid. Known him since college and when we first met/played together our lecturer asked how many years we'd been playing together. So no problems there. We've not played (together) for 5 years and straight away was like we never stopped.

Now, for the sake of breaking everyone in, we settled on learning a few covers (enough for a set whilst we write our on material). The guitarists half learned one and had a tab for the second. The singer hadn't learned any. As a result the drummer got annoyed and left early.

The guitarist is a nice guy, plenty of experience, but struggled as he's recently converted a strat to a lefty and kept having sound issues (kept knocking the blade switch without realising).

The singer's and interesting one though. She's got the look, voice and attitude for a band, but has never sang in front of people. I knew I was taking a gamble with this, but am willing to see it through. Unfortunately for her, she turned up with a blocked nose and sore throat and nerves hit her. The songs she had chosen were slightly out of her range, so that mixed with the confidence wasn't a good combo.

As a result, me and the drummer got annoyed. People not learning stuff really grated on us in college. It's not hard and we've all had a few weeks to do so. Despite the singers range/song issues, I've taken the original set, scrapped it and chose a new one. One that the singer should fit in to, one that the guitarist shouldn't have a problem learning.

I'm going to schedule another rehearsal next week and hopefully there'll be an improvement as I really want this to work and to move onto originals.

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1353098428' post='1871711']
Went ok...Ish (not really).
[/quote]

Sorry it didn't go better. You think you can contain the annoyed feelings for a few months and steer this towards where you want it? Seems to me the guitarist and singer are very attractive additions once this works.

best,
bert