Why become a member? ×

midi to USB?

MacDaddy

As my computer does not have Midi ports, I've got a midi to USB lead, that I use with my J Station for downloading patches and using the software.

It works most of the time, but more often than not I have unplug then plug in the USB and start over because the J Editor freezes or I get the 'cannot find drivers' dialogue box.

I'm guessing this is to do with the USB port not being a midi one?

Should this make a difference?

ta.

No computer has midi ports, not that I've ever heard of anyway. Everyone just uses a midi to USB interface, as you seem to have, so the connections go:

[Synth midi out] --> [Midi interface in]
...............................................................--> [USB on computer]
[Synth midi in] --> [Midi interface out]

It does sound like a driver issue.

Edited by Zenitram

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1352823813' post='1867936']
As my computer does not have Midi ports, I've got a midi to USB lead, that I use with my J Station for downloading patches and using the software.

It works most of the time, but more often than not I have unplug then plug in the USB and start over because the J Editor freezes or I get the 'cannot find drivers' dialogue box.

I'm guessing this is to do with the USB port not being a midi one?

Should this make a difference?

ta.
[/quote]

I had big big problems with a cheap Midi-USB interface with my M9, and a lot of the reports said that it was the drivers not being up to scratch, with the cheaper ones the drivers are the very basic windows plug and play ones, which from what I've read don't really stand up to much, particularly with data transfer.

I replaced it with a M-Audio Uno, which come up pretty cheap on ebay quite often, which has been rock solid since, as long as you use the drivers from their website.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1352990714' post='1870240']
Are there more up to date drivers on the manufacturer's web site? Does the manufacturer even have a web site? I couldn't find one.
[/quote]

they were taken over by Digitech. The website seems to have just been left, and doesn't seem to have been used for a few years.

The J-Edit software I have is what is currently on the site.

[url="http://www.johnson-amp.com/jstation.htm"]http://www.johnson-amp.com/jstation.htm[/url]