Why become a member? ×

ACG Harlot Video for Tone Reference

Ashwood1985

Hi peaps,

so when I was considering the trade on this for my old streamer, I hunted for some youtube vids for tone but could only find some crazy fast tapping with the treble cranked right up so I thought I'd post a quick couple of vids that display some good honest tone samples of the bass.

For those that don't know the preamp is a filter based one with a filter per pickup complete with resonance peak control and a thrid stacked pot with a high end boost with freq control. This allows for custom scoops if you know what I mean.

I was planning to do some direct recordings but this is just through the iphone mic in the room but you'll get the idea for now.

Both pickups balanced equally/filters on both pickups almost completely open (just a TINY bit of top end dampened) and no frequency boosts from the resonance controls and no high boost. Also it is running directly into the a powered extension cab - so no EQ / other preamp - nothing. So this is very much the basic sound of the bass before fiddling with the pre.

(sorry about the sloppy playin - just bashed it out for the sack of tone reference on a whim) play in HD if you got the speed ;)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO4M-bl5FP4[/media]

I will post a second one following this with some tonal varieties.

Hope this is helpful for anyone interested in the harlot or indeed Alan's great preamps.

Ash

Edited by Ashwood1985

Hi Guys,

It's in the current 'Bass Player' which I believe is very big state side seeing as it's the only export to here. This is the cover:

[attachment=123484:photo 1 (8).JPG]

and the 'New Gear' 2 page spread, on pages 30 and 31 is the AGC EQ02:

[attachment=123483:photo 2 (7).JPG]

Correction to my earlier post - just realised it's not the same one thats in the Harlot (EQ01).

Great promotion for stateside if the readership is anything like what I imagine.

Just got back tonight from a gig with it. Man it sounds killer. The way it 'snapped' back at me what I dug in on the D and G strings in a solo sung!

And anyone that's go any idea that this bass is only good for high mid freq 'modern' tones is wrong. I had fat, warm, rounded and bottom heavy drone notes for days under the acoustic guitar's arpeggios in the more ballady tunes.

[quote name='Ashwood1985' timestamp='1352595098' post='1865090']
Just got back tonight from a gig with it. Man it sounds killer. The way it 'snapped' back at me what I dug in on the D and G strings in a solo sung!

And anyone that's go any idea that this bass is only good for high mid freq 'modern' tones is wrong. I had fat, warm, rounded and bottom heavy drone notes for days under the acoustic guitar's arpeggios in the more ballady tunes.
[/quote]

So- that post just cost me (and is about to give alan) the £200 that I have possibly spare as soon as I work out it def is spare this time!

[quote name='Ashwood1985' timestamp='1352602000' post='1865133']
lol!
[/quote] to be fair it's been a bit of a mission - half decided I wanted to try an EQ-01 in my bass this time last year - before Alan was selling them. Then he made them available - I saved up and blew all the money on an engagement ring, saved up again and blew it all (stupidly) on phone calls to the fiancee (tip: check how many free mins you have left) and then sold stuff to afford it, ran out of money, traded a guitar for some stuff, sold the stuff.... and now.... now as soon as I sit down and do my accounts...

I made a similar trade last month but I traded my 3 band stingray for a ACG 5 string J-Type with P/J pickup and the bass blow me away like no tmorrow. I can pretty much get any tone of the bass once i have a good idea on what i adjusting (i mean spend some time playing and testing the preamp). The more i play the ACG the more i want to swap out hte J-Retro on my Jazz for the ACg pre lol.