Why become a member? ×

Mark Hoppus Signature Bass

Damonjames

Hi all,
Just wondering if I could get some thoughts of people who have owned/played one of these bad boys. I'm thinking about trading my mim jazz for one.
Just a little concerned about it being a one trick pony, do they sound ok? im looking for a indie/mod rock sound.
Cheers
D.

I played one of these many years ago and seem to remember it being ok at the time. It belonged to my bass tutor, who was very good, and this was the bass he used to demonstrate things to his pupils on. One trick pony? Depends on your view of P basses really, the lack of a tone control limits it a little certainly, but there are ways around that if you prefer to have one.

Don't own one, but noodled on one for about half hour in the US this summer and really liked it. The component parts (jazz body, precision profile neck) was a decent combination, especially for my gorilla sized hands. I didn't like the colour (green) or the pearlescent scratchplate. The single volume control was fine, sounded decent enough through a variety of amps. I know they used to do a black/black/rosewood issue which is more me.

Body styling aside, it's effectively a Precision without a tone control...you could always wire in a single stack knob if that was going to be an issue.

Best
P

Thanks for the reply guys. I've been playing jazz for the last 12 months and been really happy with the variety of sound available. The jazz also suits me as I have tiny little lady like hands.
I recently got a bad case of GAS when I saw I mike dirnt signature p bass, and to be honest was a little underwhelmed by its sound at home. I took it to rehearsal and was blown away by how well it cuts through! Now it's the only bass I take with me, however, it has a thick neck and a classic p bass body, so I thought the hoppus would suit a little better

I used to have one and loved it but after a while I started to miss having a tone control. On paper, the only reason to think to own one is for the Blink 182 connotations; otherwise just go out and get a precision with a jazz neck!

Mine had a lovely sound and looked great (salmon pink with an aftermarket mint p'guard), but sometimes I just like being able to fiddle with the tone!

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1352400095' post='1862635']
On paper, the only reason to think to own one is for the Blink 182 connotations; otherwise just go out and get a precision with a jazz neck!
[/quote]

Regardless of the Blink 182 association, it's one of the only ways of getting an affordable, off the shelf bass with the body of a jazz and the sound and neck of a precision.

So if you're looking for a jazz neck, the hoppus isn't for you.

I think the blacktop jazz bass has a jazz body/neck with two sets of p-bass pickups so maybe that would suit you better.

Edited by Ruiner

In that case it probably would. From what I've read on here the Dirnt necks are huge, even by precision standards.

The Hoppus is a great bass. The SPB-3 pickups are excellent and I've never missed the tone control for what I do although a lot of people see it's exclusion as a major limitation.

If I was you I'd try and find one I could try out in a local store first.

:)

[quote name='Ruiner' timestamp='1352402471' post='1862685']

Regardless of the Blink 182 association, it's one of the only ways of getting an affordable, off the shelf bass with the body of a jazz and the sound and neck of a precision.

So if you're looking for a jazz neck, the hoppus isn't for you.

I think the blacktop jazz bass has a jazz body/neck with two sets of p-bass pickups so maybe that would suit you better.
[/quote]

Oops, I meant jazz body/p neck!!

Truckstop

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1352405456' post='1862735']
Thanks Ruiner, is yours an early one or does yours have the reversed pickup?
[/quote]

I have two, and they're both the older model. I'd quite like to try out one of the reversed pickup ones though.