Why become a member? ×

Dave Pegg, still the best! (IMO)

4-string-thing

Saw Fairport Convention for the first time in about 25 years last night at Dave Peggs 65th birthday gig. What a brilliant bassist! Great basslines, great tone and a great bloke all round. Still the best player around as far as I'm concerned!

Not sure what his bass or amp was, but it sounded awesome and its almost convinced me to go down the "small and lightweight" road, coz his amp looked about the size of a pet carrier!

Anyone else there?

I saw the Fairports at Cambridge folk festival on Sky Arts a few months back, and it looked to me like he was using a little Ibanez Promethean combo...

Incidentally, Maartin Allcock turned up at one of our gigs last weekend. Had a nice chat with him. He wants to buy my fretless, but he's not getting it. Lovely chap.

[quote name='Stu-khag' timestamp='1351955492' post='1857282']
shameless plug, had the pleasure of working on fairport doc for beeb, it's being shown again this coming friday after Sandy Denny tribute concert.
Dave is a fantastic bassist. I absolutely love his playing on Fullhouse, especially Dirty Linen.
[/quote]

They didn't do Dirty Linen last night, but his playing on the instrumentals was fantastic!