Why become a member? ×

This has probably answered 10,000 times, but......

weepaul

A tweak of the truss rod might help if it's needed, check the relief of the neck and see how much bend is in it. I've normally found with acoustics that the bridge needs filing down to get a decent action. You might have to file the nut slots as well, I use a drill bit the size of the slot for that in my hand and slowly work it until the height is just right.

If the neck is already straight then don't tightem the trussrod to try and bring the action down.

Is it a set neck or a bolt on? If it's a bolt on then the first thing to try would be shimming the neck.

If it's a set neck then, as the action is high at the top end of the board, the best place to try and adjust it lower would be to file down the saddle. Not hard to do, just make a line indicating how much you want to take off and do it in small steps. Make sure you file the bottom of the saddle on a dead flat surface (the bottom of the saddle needs to be flat to make good contact with the under saddle transducer).

Can you post a close up pic of the bridge/saddle? This will give a better idea of how much adjustment you might be able to get at that end.

Edited by ikay

The truss rod is used to adjust the relief in the neck. While too much relief may also lead to high action, if the the relief is set correctly then you should look at the bridge (I'm assuming that like most acoustic basses this doesn't have a bolt-on neck) to make adjustments to the action.

Yes. The important thing is to make sure that the base is still perfectly flat and square to the front and back faces after filing as this is the point which transfers the string vibration to the top and the contact between it and the slot in the bridge needs to be perfect. Also if the saddle is made out of plastic you might want to consider replacing it with something better like bone.

Edited by BigRedX