Why become a member? ×

Boosey and Hawkes 400 Halfsize Upright SOLD

I'm sure some of you have been in this situation: Really didn't want to have to sell this but after being slapped with a bill for the car it looks like I don't have much choice!

My offering is a Boosey and Hawkes 400 Haflsize Acoustic Upright with a bow. I have never gotten round to learning to play it properly and as a result it has taken pride of place in our dining room as a rather attractive piece of furniture! I've only ever gigged it once and recorded with it a couple of times. It's in great condition but could probably do with some new strings (I daren't change them as I have no idea what I'm doing!)

I know I won't get what I paid for it so I reckon [b]£400 [/b]is a fair shout for it.

It's an 80's Czech model I think (that's about all I know!) As it's a fairly hefty beast, buyer collects might be the best thing. I would be willing to come to some sort of arrangement where we meet half way if that's what you prefer.

I will email pics of it for anyone interested, if you have any questions please feel free to give me a shout - I will do my best to answer them but I will be honest I really don't know much about it other than its sounds great and looks ace!

Cheers

Adam

Edited by AdamWoodBass

This is still available. I can confirm that it is a Czech import, not sure of the year but it's pre 1992 when they started being built in China. Best guess would put it around the mid 80's from what I have read about the history of B&H. Give me a shout if you want pics or sound clips.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so I've had this looked at by a luthier. He tells me its actually a half size (shows how much I know!) He's also pointed out that it could do with a very minor fingerboard repair which he assures me wouldn't cost a lot and would be very easy however not having it repaired would not stop you from being able to play it. He said if you wanted to play with a bow you might want to consider a new bridge but for playing fingerstyle if would be fine, had a look on evilbay and new bridges for a half sized bass are about £20. He also said that in actual fact the strings are fine and still have plenty of life in them. All things considered I'm going to reduce the price to £400 and if noone takes it then I can only assume I'm just not meant to sell it.