Why become a member? ×

Slap Ramps....what are they?

iconic

Aren't they the brass plate at the base of the neck?
AFAIK you "slap" the string into it for the percussive sound... rather than sound being from the string striking the last fret.
At least, I [i]think[/i] that's how it works..
Arguably of more use on fretless, I suppose (?)

And not to be confused with the ramps/fretboard extensions that help plucking hand technique/stop you digging in...

"Norm Stockton: When I’m slapping, my fingers have a tendency to get stuck under the strings if there’s too much room between the string and the top of the bass. I guess I have bony fingers! :^) So I’ve had all of my basses that I use for slapping fitted with a thin piece of wood (wenge) to reduce that distance."

Basically similar to a regular ramp but not quite so close to the strings to allow a little more room for thumbing/popping. Concept is the same - to achieve a more even playing action.

Here's a pic of a Nordstrand with a regular ramp (between pups) and a slap ramp (between pup and neck). The slap ramp is set slightly lower than the regular ramp.
[attachment=122245:ramps.jpg]

Here's a pic of a graduated slap ramp built into the end of the fretboard on a Status Kingbass
[attachment=122244:Status Kingbass slap ramp.jpg]

Edited by ikay

I used to use one (probs still should) on one of my basses because the strings were higher above the body than normal and I felt like I was levitating over a huge void...Every time I'd pop it was like [b]"THIS IS SPARTA!!!"[/b] and my fingers got booted down the endless pit. :-(
Same principle as a ramp for fingers. I usually use the pickups for this though.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1351497994' post='1851689']
Aren't they the brass plate at the base of the neck?
AFAIK you "slap" the string into it for the percussive sound... rather than sound being from the string striking the last fret.
At least, I [i]think[/i] that's how it works..
Arguably of more use on fretless, I suppose (?)
[/quote]

Now, I've been thinking about that, what a small plate of metal at the end of a fretless would sound like. Because the only thing that's stopping me fully convert over is the initial attack. The sustain and decay is fine, I love the woody tone but I miss the sharp bite at the start......Other than that I friggin' love fretless! It's just...something else. :-)

[quote name='Kongo' timestamp='1351553246' post='1852668']
I used to use one (probs still should) on one of my basses because the strings were higher above the body than normal and I felt like I was levitating over a huge void...Every time I'd pop it was like [b]"THIS IS SPARTA!!!"[/b] and my fingers got booted down the endless pit. :-(
[/quote] took me a few seconds to get the [b]"THIS IS SPARTA!!!"[/b] reference :)

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1351554191' post='1852682']
All sounds like a load of cobblers to me. Ramps for thumb rest, yes, for slapping???? Fingers get trapped under strings that are too close to the body, not the other way around.
[/quote]

I've got a massive cutwaway on my 6 string so when popping i hook my finger way too far round the string to play fluidly. But then I am sh*te at slap and only do it for a laugh :lol:

Edited by chrismuzz

All sounds like a load of cobblers to me. Ramps for thumb rest, yes, for slapping???? Fingers get trapped under strings that are too close to the body, not the other way around.
[/quote]

The issue is overshooting and undershooting the string IMO. I hate it when my fingers can flail out all over the place. Much like many players I prefer there to be some form of physical resistance to limit how far I can overshoot. Same thing with finger ramps, they are used for more than resting a thumb on, they are used so you get a more even attack.

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1351554004' post='1852679']
took me a few seconds to get the [b]"THIS IS SPARTA!!!"[/b] reference :)
[/quote]

That's literally how I feel when playing on a bass where the strings are too far from the body. Easiest way to explain. X-D

Edited by Kongo

[/quote]
I totally get it. I prefer to slap on my Fenders because the scratchplate raises the surface a bit. I don't like a large space
between the strings and the body. A ramp for fingerstyle playing doesn't really interest me at all,but I'd be more inclined
to get a thinner one for slap playing.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1351557755' post='1852711'] I prefer to slap on my Fenders because the scratchplate raises the surface a bit. I don't like a large space between the strings and the body.
[/quote]

That's actually what got me to realise why I struggled so much on said bass. I got a Jazz bass and noticed the scratch plate raised the body to the strings a bit more and it got me to thinking.
The ramp I made is only slightly thicker than a scratch plate but it made a world of difference.

Edited by Kongo

A ramp or a plate..?

A plate would have the purpose of adding a little attack to the slap... and this would be placed on the neck.
A ramp generally goes between the pickups...or that ballpark type position... and is for stopping the fingers/thumb going too far under the strings
if you use a 4 fingered technique or double thumping.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1351599392' post='1853038']
A ramp or a plate..?

A plate would have the purpose of adding a little attack to the slap... and this would be placed on the neck.
A ramp generally goes between the pickups...or that ballpark type position... and is for stopping the fingers/thumb going too far under the strings
if you use a 4 fingered technique or double thumping.
[/quote]
A ramp,not a plate. Basically it's a ramp at the base of the neck that brings the playing surface closer to
the strings. Usually it's thinner than a normal ramp so that you can still get underneath the strings,but it gives
the same result ,in that it stops you going too far under the strings.
Like I said earlier,I prefer to slap on my Fenders because the scratchplate makes the gap between the strings
and the body smaller.