Why become a member? ×

Suitable vehicles for PA gear

Truckstop

[quote name='lazzer' timestamp='1351452652' post='1851387']
Seats 3 up front and can accomodate all the following;
[/quote]

So does our LWB Hi roof Movano and its B* uncomfortable in the middle seat on any long journey. Capacity is amazing and 30mpg loaded. Loading ramp and everything on wheels is one big helping feature. Prior to this used an Ifor Williams box trailer which I preferred, use car to tow, comfy seats etc etc.. Van is surprisingly good to drive, has all safety kit and gadgets that my car has.

I had a Berlingo for many years and the load space was nothing short of phenomenal, even if it does look like an icecream van. Took me, drummer and guitarist to a gig with all our kit plus some of the PA once.

It did, however, start to expensively self destruct at around 60K miles. OK if you dabble in mechanical things but I don't. Also had absolutely no traction on a slippery road surface compared to most cars I have driven which, in the end, proved to be the end of it as I live on a steep hill and couldn't get up or down during icy periods.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1351496853' post='1851683']
I had a Berlingo for many years and the load space was nothing short of phenomenal, even if it does look like an icecream van. Took me, drummer and guitarist to a gig with all our kit plus some of the PA once.

It did, however, start to expensively self destruct at around 60K miles. OK if you dabble in mechanical things but I don't. Also had absolutely no traction on a slippery road surface compared to most cars I have driven which, in the end, proved to be the end of it as I live on a steep hill and couldn't get up or down during icy periods.
[/quote]

Renault Kangoo very similar, no mechanical destruction but the traction was just as Paul S says above :(

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' timestamp='1351507688' post='1851812']
I've covered over 100,000 miles in my Berlingo and it's holding up pretty well.
[/quote]
Mine popped its head gasket at 139,000 miles, though I realised later that the problem had started quite a bit earlier.

[quote name='bob_pickard' timestamp='1351450021' post='1851351']
The other thing to bear in mind is the speed limit for a Transit like van is less than a car or people carrier - 50 mph or 60 on a motorway. Car derived vans are ok.
[/quote]

Almost right, vans are 50mph single lane, 60 on dual carriage way, 70 on motorway.
Car derived vans are pretty much non existent nowadays.

On the subject of stuffing vehicles cram full of kit, if you really have to, try and keep it below
Seat top height. If you can't I'd opt for a van with safety bulkhead.

....loose things kicking around the cabin in an accident (or heavy braking) don't half make a mess of occupants

Edited by iconic

FIAT MULTIPLA, back three seats removed, will carry a huge amount of gear and is a very comfortable drive too. Best vehicle I have ever owned for all round general usefulness.

Bonus is because they are percieved as ugly, the second hand price is always low.

Can't rate them highly enough.