Why become a member? ×

Setting up amp

jonunders

Spot on, I`ve always said that there are two things that make me think a band is good - being able to understand (not just hear) what the singer is singing, and hearing all of the kit, with the kit sounding nice and crisp.

And for both, you need the gtrs/basses/keys to turn down a bit and realise you all sound better that way.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1351251930' post='1849242']
you need the gtrs/basses/keys to turn down a bit and realise you all sound better that way.
[/quote]

Oh yeah, of course! But it's no good turning the instruments down if the drummer stays too loud. On this particular gig the lead guitar was barely audible at times and the vocals could have done with being up a bit. The root of the problem though is the big loud kit... although the shape of the room and stage didn't help much either.

The room is approximately square, and holds 120 people when packed full. So it is not big. The far wall is quite close and the stage is about 18" high and hollow. Because the room is short and relatively wide, the punters are pretty close to the band and (more importantly) the backline.

Not a good recipe when you add in the adrenaline of a drummer who is already loud playing a new (loud) kit on the first gig he had played for seven years!! :blink: :angry:

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1351251930' post='1849242']
..........that there are two things that make me think a band is good - being able to understand (not just hear) what the singer is singing, and hearing all of the kit, with the kit sounding nice and crisp.

And for both, you need the gtrs/basses/keys to turn down a bit and realise you all sound better that way.
[/quote]

The number of bands round here who use a vox/gtr player as lead vocal. The problem with that is that he is a gtr player first and foremost and he sings
because..he may as well. Big fat NO from me... either the vox are up to being lead or they are not and most are not so that is MISTAKE number 1.
This afterthought type of thinking extends to the P.A which might be 300watts into average cabs... so average vox struggle into average sound and you can't hear this whole afterthought arrangement..so MISTAKE number 2...
And that all adds up to MISTAKE number 3 where the voxs aren't or can't be loud enough over the band and if, by the rare chance they are loud enough...they aren't good enough to really want to hear them...and round and round we go.

We are a loud band..we have a few gears to go through and the drummer is part of that..and I am conscious of being too loud so this is a perennial question to our crowd, but the vox are never drowned out and to the voxs credit, he wouldn't allow that.
That is one case of arrogance or whatever you want to bracket it as... as working for the band.

He is an excellent vocalist so why on earth would we conspire not to showcase him to the hilt.

Despite getting loud, I don't think we ever lose the mix.... altho it may well go in the last few numbers....from my POV... altho no one else has pointed this out