Why become a member? ×

'Tune' Japanese basses, anybody know much about them?

Richeyrockshack

I picked up a project that might be a bit too much for me so trying to find some info before deciding whether to sell her on...

It's a Jap Tune bass, I can literally only find one page with anything similar on the Internet so I'm kinda ignoring it as there is nothing else to compare against...this particular page has them rated very well indeed and priced at around $1400...is this right?

It has some fancy electrickery, weighs nearly nothing (the neck in particular) and is currently sat in bits, part-sanded, ready for a refinish and re-assembly.

I need tuners which could prove an interesting search as the headstock is ridiculously slim, otherwise it's all there.

I'll try to upload a few photos later.

Any info would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks for listening,
Richey

Anything like this?

The Tune Bass Maniac was something of a classic instrument and spawned a whole host of copies and instruments taking their cue from it's design in the late 80's/early 90's. They were high quality instruments but they nor the their copies seem to be particularly fashionable right now.

AFAIR there was some kind of internal dispute and two companies ended up making instruments under the Tune brand name. I've no idea what the quality is like of the newer instruments, or indeed if other companies have used the same name, but if it's made in Japan it's likely to be worth your while getting it into a usable condition.

Edit: I've just realised you've said you could only find one page that had a bass that looked like yours, which I guess means it's unlikely that yyou'rs is the Bass Maniac! :rolleyes:

Edited by Musky

They were quite the thing to be playing in the late 80s Jorge Casas Miami sound machine used one for some time before signing up with Warwick. Bass centre London did sell them and later in the 90's they introduced some very nice wood bodies with excotic headstocks and body shapes. Not seen much now.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1350740479' post='1842894']
Anything like this?

The Tune Bass Maniac was something of a classic instrument and spawned a whole host of copies and instruments taking their cue from it's design in the late 80's/early 90's. They were high quality instruments but they nor the their copies seem to be particularly fashionable right now.

AFAIR there was some kind of internal dispute and two companies ended up making instruments under the Tune brand name. I've no idea what the quality is like of the newer instruments, or indeed if other companies have used the same name, but if it's made in Japan it's likely to be worth your while getting it into a usable condition.

Edit: I've just realised you've said you could only find one page that had a bass that looked like yours, which I guess means it's unlikely that yyou'rs is the Bass Maniac! :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Pretty much exactly like that one...worth sorting then?

Where the 'Bass Maniac' lettering would have been there is a slightly deeper sanded area, the whole thing has been poorly sanded back ready for a spray job prior to me acquiring it in bits. Having troubles getting photos uploaded from my iPad I'll get some up soon...

Richey

That price may be high. I bought a newer Tune bass off of eBay this year for $375 USD. Depends on model and year. eBay has a fret less for sale for $575.

Not a huge demand for them.

The Lightwave Systems Space Bass was designed in conjunction with Tune, and you can see it here:

Lightwave-systems.com

• 1 year later...

Couple of years late to this topic, but I'm sat here with my much loved Tune Tbc4 purchased back in 1994 at the London Bass Centre.

It has a 3 piece maple neck, lacewood top, natural oil finish, brass nut, 25 frets, it's showing some wear and tear from it's age, some minor dinks and scratches but the electronics are fine and it plays fabulously and the guys in my current band love the tone.

I paid £420 back then it was reduced by 50% but the same model now is 270000yen or £1500 and getting any response from the current manufacturer is like looking for rocking horse poo!

It's very light and comfy to play the neck is quite narrow but very playable. I'm pleased I've held in to it as it's now very unique and hard to find in the uk, I was considering recently selling and buying a Warwick but for what I can afford right now and what I have there is no real point + Warwick are not so desirable for me now with all the rock bass stuff going on.

It's nice to own a unique instrument with great tone and playability, I don't have any criticisms of it at all apart from i wish you could still get them over here, Id like a 5 string please!!!

I was after an original Bass Maniac back in the 80's. It was a white fretless with extended board and piezo

[attachment=172842:Tune_fretless_Bass.jpg]

Years have gone but I've never seen one so earlier this year when I saw one on ebay I got it, TBW-4Z,. Not made any more and I think it's Korean.
But just so I can show it off here it is, damn good bass if I may be so bold.

[attachment=172847:IMAG0219.jpg]

• 7 months later...

Kodiakblair - I've got one exactly like that, the white fretless with the extended fretboard and piezos. I bought it new in 1986 - as soon as I heard about it it sounded like just what I needed. I've loved it ever since! I've used it a lot for jazz and soul, through a Polytone MB II - the combination of the piezo and being fretless give it a lovely woody tone. It's currently got black tapewound La Bella strings on it - I suspect that's what it came with in the first place. It really sings.

I don't really play any more though - would you be looking for one? I'm in Edinburgh if you wanted to pop over for a play.