Why become a member? ×

Too iconic ?

dmz

Just noticed the 1960 Rickenbacker 4000 for sale on eBay atm - got me thinking - could we ever see Rickenbacker bringing out a reissue - or would that devalue their "iconic" status ? ......or possibly devalue the market value of such basses ?

Would there be a market for such a beast - probably not much - but I'm sure Rickenbacker nuts out there would salivate at the prospect of getting one. Heck, I'd salivate over a 70's series 4000 re-issue.......

Can you imagine the price though :)

Seems to me there would also be a reasonable market for a slab bodied P-bass a la John Entwistle - given Fenders propensity for coming up with all manner of permutations of things - this surely has to be high up there ? Maybe it will remain an expensive Custom Shop option for the well heeled amongst us.

[quote name='dmz' timestamp='1350689702' post='1842468']
Seems to me there would also be a reasonable market for a slab bodied P-bass a la John Entwistle - given Fenders propensity for coming up with all manner of permutations of things - this surely has to be high up there ? Maybe it will remain an expensive Custom Shop option for the well heeled amongst us.
[/quote]

I've been saying this for years. I bet they would just throw on a standard P pickup though.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1350909724' post='1844884']
I've been saying this for years. I bet they would just throw on a standard P pickup though.
[/quote]

The Squire CV 50s P has the classic non-split single coil, single-ply scratchplate, chrome control plate and tele headstock. I think it might have a contoured body though. Still, a lot closer than many without the custom-shop pricetag!

[quote name='Dr M' timestamp='1350917878' post='1845033']
The Squire CV 50s P has the classic non-split single coil, single-ply scratchplate, chrome control plate and tele headstock. I think it might have a contoured body though. Still, a lot closer than many without the custom-shop pricetag!
[/quote]

But the slab bodied Precisions like Entwistle used weren't that '51-'57 style.They were like the more modern Precision
design with the split pickup and larger headstock,only they had a non contoured,slab body. I believe they were a very limited
run for the UK market around '66.

Edited by Doddy

This is the book that tells the story;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fender-Bass-Britain-Slab-Bodied-Precision/dp/1438946627/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1350942276&sr=1-3

Will have to buy it some day............shoot, may well pull the trigger on a copy tonight !

Didn't Steve Harris use a slab bodied P too? There's one with single binding but i'm sure he used a slab too - I'll have to look through the booklets in my CD collection. It would be funny if Fender did release a slab bodied P because it'll make everyone realize how much they needed those contours!! My tele killed my forearm foremost and my ribcage after that (double bound mind).

Edited by Schnozzalee

Harris's bass may have been custom made - the Fender Japan SH model came with the regular body.

I note Fender Japan Aerodyne P-basses are slab bodied however - maybe a project there for someone !

Otherwise, looks like you'd need to contact Mr Bravewood or John Shuker (or the like).

I've sent off an e-mail to Edenhaus in the US to see if they could make one - they are an outfit like Warmouth - they have a 25% off sale at the moment. An Olympic White P-bass body (post 57) with nitrocellulose finish works out at £367 using their website. Will let you know if they can do a slab......

[quote name='dmz' timestamp='1350825753' post='1843859']
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RICKENBACKER-MODEL-4000-1960-ONE-OF-THE-VERY-FIRST-ALL-ORIGINAL-RAREST-/140870339200?pt=Guitar&hash=item20cc86ca80"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item20cc86ca80[/url]

Not one for a compulsive buy - unless your name is Abramovich......
[/quote]

Holy moly, that pickguard is something else.

......well, got a reply from Edenhaus....they can do a slab apparently.....less contouring for them to do I guess.

So - £92 or so with no paint/finish or £350 or thereabouts for olympic white with a nitrocellulose finish.

Btw - found this on a quick trawl of the net......

http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/4454/Fender-Custom-Shop-Masterbuilt-66-Slab-Precision-Closet-Classic-Bass-White-Blonde-/

Shame about the decal :rolleyes: