Why become a member? ×

Ashdown CTM100

dan670844

Ha ha I will be I wont be able to resist this one!! Best Idea I have seen this year!

If it follows the design of the CTM 300 and LB30 and with the over speced transformers it will be well loud enough for most gigs that people do and with the ot transformer derived DI you can have that sweet tone in the PA. These new valve amps from Ashdown are so easy to look after, my lb is used probably about 20hrs per week for over a year know, in and out of the car, it has never missed a beat!

The CTM has done around 20 plays now and is sounding better and better as it burns in

Ashdown have really worked hard on their core range of products, valve ABM, TE haha! MAG and Dual Tube MIbas there is something for everyone, the designs are also evolvable. I can see the the evos on these products having compressors etc,tube compressor on the Spyders cool, Mibass with the dual band compressor, anyone? that would be cool. And the cabs they are making, the VS, CL and now the Mibass cabs are up there with high end stuff, but at a good price level.

[quote name='dan670844' timestamp='1350118470' post='1834695']
Ha ha I will be I wont be able to resist this one!! Best Idea I have seen this year!

If it follows the design of the CTM 300 and LB30 and with the over speced transformers it will be well loud enough for most gigs that people do and with the ot transformer derived DI you can have that sweet tone in the PA. These new valve amps from Ashdown are so easy to look after, my lb is used probably about 20hrs per week for over a year know, in and out of the car, it has never missed a beat!

The CTM has done around 20 plays now and is sounding better and better as it burns in

Ashdown have really worked hard on their core range of products, valve ABM, TE haha! MAG and Dual Tube MIbas there is something for everyone, the designs are also evolvable. I can see the the evos on these products having compressors etc,tube compressor on the Spyders cool, Mibass with the dual band compressor, anyone? that would be cool. And the cabs they are making, the VS, CL and now the Mibass cabs are up there with high end stuff, but at a good price level.
[/quote]

Yup Ashdown certainly are making some great stuff, only problem is I want it all! Love the fact that they're a British family company too not some yank corporation

[quote name='BluRay' timestamp='1350225133' post='1835956']
Yeah good for them - a year ago there was nowt but people putting them down. I'd love to try one of these. Value watts tend to be worth more in volume terms right? So would a CTM 300 be much more powerful (louder) than, saym, ABM 500?
[/quote]

Yeah with you there. I've always enjoyed my various Ashdown gear, and don't really get the bashing they seem to have got recently.

Anyway, if my LB30 is anything to go by (loud enough for most gigs I do), I'd say the CTM300 would easily out-do the ABM500. That's assuming they are the same lovely Watts of the LB - which I have no doubt they are.

I have to try one of these CTMs one day, even though I'm not in a position to be able to afford one at the moment.

What I would like is something like an LB60, in the same casing, at less than £1k please.

• 5 months later...

I was looking at the Ashdown range the other day and noticed the Drophead 200 and CTM 100 are about the same price. Does that mean the CTM is better built or does it not cost that much more to add an extra 100w to a design? Obviously the two amps have different features, but I didn't think the differences were so great that the 200w amp would be so close in price to the CTM.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1363941496' post='2019736']
I was looking at the Ashdown range the other day and noticed the Drophead 200 and CTM 100 are about the same price. Does that mean the CTM is better built or does it not cost that much more to add an extra 100w to a design? Obviously the two amps have different features, but I didn't think the differences were so great that the 200w amp would be so close in price to the CTM.
[/quote]

I guess its similar production costs combined with what people will pay for those different types of products. The drophead looks cool - but not very practical without the matching cab, CTM is probably more usable for most people. I wish they'd make a 200w CTM. Actually probably as well they don't. :lol: