Why become a member? ×

Led Zep - Great Article!

merello

They did some great numbers, it's true, and opened up a whole field for 'supergroups'; neverless I saw them at festivals in the 70's and couldn't watch to the end of any set. Boredom set in, with their interminable 'widdling around' and pounding (I'm not a 'head-banger, it's true...).
The cinema film 'The Song Remains the Same' was equally (imho, of course...) more of an [i]exposé[/i] than a revelation; out of limo, onto stage, bizarroid mental projections and (still my opinion...) pretentious stage presence, back into limo and in the air home before the applause has died down. Somewhat cynical, I felt, and not much respect for the (huge...) public in the stadium. Not impressed, I'm afraid. I wouldn't be interested in any kind of nechrophiliiac reunion. They were not breathing heavily back then, even.

I got into them in 1975 when Physical Graffiti came out and then sought out the previous albums and became a huge fan. By the the time I saw them at Knebworth in 1979 I was pretty much over all that (oh, fickle teenager) and dug Todd Rundgren's set a lot more than Zep's.

These days, I think that all the albums through to Physical Graffiti (with the possible exclusion of Houses of the Holy) stand up very well and the 2003 DVD release made amends for the shortcomings of The Song Remains The Same.

Funnily enough my wife was selected in the lottery for tickets for the 2007 O2 concert but when she realised that it would cost £250 for the two of us to go (which we could have afforded) decided that it wasn't worth it so put them back in the lottery for some other lucky punters to get. I happened to interview Nile Rodgers the day after she made this decisions and he was i) very amused that she thought that £125 a pop was too steep and ii) very impressed that she didn't think of sticking them on Ebay. Pretty much how I felt too :) (Claaaang. Can't find a suitable emoticon for shameless name dropping)

Edited by Panamonte

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1350073388' post='1834392']
Black Hog? Featuring John Bon-ham on drums?
[/quote]
Oooh, so bad it's good! :-D

The story is Plant co-owned a farm in Herefordshire, where I spent my youth, and one of my mates and I used to earn pocket money on said farm by helping to feed and muck out the piggies, amongst other critters.

Apparently he did visit so I may have even met him, but long haired dudes were common in H'ford at that time and I wouldn't have known him from Adam.

...Clayton, whose budgerigar I used to feed when... ;-)

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1350044663' post='1833922']
i am a zeppelin nut!! but I am glad they did not reform for a tour. Why?, because Bonzo's not around of course. That's why they split up in the first place, no Bonzo-no Zeppelin. looking forward to the DVD. I have seen a bootleg version and though Jason does a good job, He's no Bonzo. I reckon Plant would struggle with a full blown tour, as his voice is not what it used to be (just ask Ian Gillan). So IMO leave well enough alone and protect the legacy.
[/quote]
This exactly. When i hear Plants voice on (the first 5 albums especially) and when i hear it now, it would be heartbreaking to hear him try those songs at this point in time. His voice is nothing like it used to be (like Gillans - terrible), leave well alone, and remember them in their prime.

[quote name='Panamonte' timestamp='1350085981' post='1834551']
I got into them in 1975 when Physical Graffiti came out and then sought out the previous albums and became a huge fan. By the the time I saw them at Knebworth in 1979 I was pretty much over all that (oh, fickle teenager) and dug Todd Rundgren's set a lot more than Zep's.

These days, I think that all the albums through to Physical Graffiti (with the possible exclusion of Houses of the Holy) stand up very well and the 2003 DVD release made amends for the shortcomings of The Song Remains The Same.

[/quote]

+1

i was there in 79 too - page was without a doubt the most sloppy live performance ive ever seen (possibly something to do witt he fact that he had a giant rizla hanging out the side of his gob for the entire set) - bonham and jpj on the other hand ... in 33 years since then ive still yet to see a drummer and bass player outperform them

+1 also regarding todd rundgren - in hindsight he really should have been the headline act

would be curious to see LZ now and see how different they would be with jp sober - the o2 dome gig from what ive seen of it looked a way better live show than knebworth