Why become a member? ×

Bass and Double bass through same backline - how??

gilmour

Hi All,

I've a gig this wekend (first gig show with a new producer) he wants me to play both bass and double bass.

The ideal for this is either, a PJB head or a Radial Bassbone. Unfortunatley I'm skint, so can't get either. Also they venue will supply backline

Usually when I use upright I have a cheap behringer EQ, and DI box goint into my amp, and front of huse desk, so figure I can use the EQ on the to shape the tone and volume, and the active preamp on muy elecctric to sort thae other side out, will leave the amp fairly flat.

What I want is some kind of A/B box that has two inputs, and only 1 output, do they exist - are they expensive? What I see myself doing is....

I'm not sure if the DI is in the right point in the chain, I'll leave that up to the engineer, whether he wants to take one out the amp, or from each instrument or whatever. I usually put one in the chain to balance the output from my pickup (on the double).

Essentialy so I can use same amp and tuner, and just stomp a box to mute 1 or the other and be able to switch relatively quickly.

I'm being paid much for the gig, so can't justfy spending much money :)

Thanks

R

Cheaper than an A/B box would be a simple cable: 2 x Female 1/4" to 1 x Male 1/4".

Plug the last cable in the chain from the double bass into one of the female 1/4" and the last cable in the chain from the bass guitar into the other female 1/4", then plug the Male 1/4" into the tuner / amp.

You'd have to match the levels of the double bass and bass guitar before they go into the amp, unless you don't mind fiddling with the amp in between songs. I think everyone else might find that annoying though.

Edited by The Funk

Thanks Kev, unfortunatley the gig is Sunday (only got confirmed yesterday, so it doesn't leave much time to order one)

[quote name='The Funk' post='193041' date='May 6 2008, 04:20 PM']Cheaper than an A/B box would be a simple cable: 2 x Female 1/4" to 1 x Male 1/4".[/quote]

I thought about this, but it doesn't have the option to mute 1 channel, and with the DB this leaves a massive chance of feedback.

Grrr... why doesn't the backline just have two inputs like my amp???

you should be able to get an AB box in most music shops or check ebay/online/whatever - ART do one, EHX do a switchblade, there are loads of manufacturers that do 'em - don't worry about A/B/Y, it shouldn't make a difference unless you stamp on Y all of a sudden and everything goes quiet :) (you could potentially plug your tuner in there)

edit: and a standard A/B will do the trick - just cos it says it's 1 input and 2 outputs, there's no reason why you can't just turn it round and make it work the other way - I have a red onion one and that's all i'd done with mine.

Edited by john_the_bass