Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazzed

DogHammer

Hi All,

I have just acquired a very nice Lefty 2002 Fender MIM Jazz from the forums own Psycoandy.

This is my first Fender. I have always been put off in the past, as everyone seems to have them. And as I am left handed, I haven't really had much opportunity to try one. Have tried an American precision a few years back and didn't like it.

My first bass was a Jazz copy, a Legend I think, and looked exactly like the Fender, but cant really remember what it played like... I was only 13ish. Then from there it was Ibanez and eventually my Corvette $$.

I must say I am very impressed. Really easy to play, and so very light compared to the Warwick. Maybe I have a 'Good' one?

Think I may break it out for a few numbers at our next gig.

Any recommendations on upgrades? Pickups? Preamp?

I t took me a while to get mine sounding nice, new strings made a huge difference as did experimenting with volume and tone settings on the amp and the bass. I was playing a precision before and couldn't get the bassiness I was after until I worked out that i should use neck pickup on full bridge on half.
as for up grades , the tuners are great , it stays in tune for ever. It's through strung so I can't see what difference a new bridge would make. I'm getting the sound I wanted so the pickups can stay. Pre-amp? tried actives , didn't like them, passive all the way for me.
I did change the white scratch plate for a grey tort one, the tone , response, intonation, sustain, output, coolness were all much improved.

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1349945056' post='1832452']
I did change the white scratch plate for a grey tort one, the tone , response, intonation, sustain, output, coolness were all much improved.
[/quote]

[b]Bollocks![/b] You [b]must[/b]'ve known you wouldn't get away with this.
Only red or burgundy tort will do that.

best,
bert

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1349904049' post='1832186']
If I had a bass I was so chuffed with I'd play it to death for quite a few weeks before I decided what - if anything - needed changing on it.
[/quote]

Definitely this. There's no point looking to change stuff when in all likelihood the bass is absolutely fine. As long as you're happy with it!

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1349945056' post='1832452']
[/quote]

....... yeah, you conveniently omitted to mention the neckdive it caused though! :rolleyes: :lol:

I changed the 'aged' white pickguard on my sunburst American deluxe jazz for a tort one a while ago. Looked great. A few weeks ago I started gassing for another bass (maybe a passive jazz) then last weekend I put the original pickguard back on for a change. Hey-presto, gas gone (well subsided as it never really leaves you). Feels like i'm playing a different bass. I'll probably change it back again in a few months and get that new bass feeling once again. Just thought i'd share that with you all.

I like mine the way it is. The only modification I made was to put on a Hipshot bass extender so I could drop the E to low D quickly. Since mine is a 1974 I wouldn't change out the pups, but if a had a Mexican I would be tempted to put in a set of Fender noiseless pickups so I could adjust the tone knobs without any hiss. If you like the way it sounds, then don't change anything. Oh, a set of straplocks would be a good move.

Like you, I have just bought my first Jazz (from here on Basschat), & I'm delighted with mine too! :)

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1349904049' post='1832186']
If I had a bass I was so chuffed with I'd play it to death for quite a few weeks before I decided what - if anything - needed changing on it.
[/quote]

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1349963077' post='1832784']
Definitely this. There's no point looking to change stuff when in all likelihood the bass is absolutely fine. As long as you're happy with it!
[/quote]

The boys are spot on!

Change the pickguard if you want to change something.
You could buy a few over time, & 'ring the changes' every now & again as mr zed has suggested.

Ok,

After playing with the Jazz quite a bit at band practice last night, I have found that it is struggling to cut through .

I was running through my MarkBass 151p, and found I really needed to ramp the volume up nearly to full, and I had to dig in a bit for it to cut through.

So whats the solution, has anyone else had this issue[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]?[/font][/color]

Precisely that problem.
I put new strings on (D'Addario nickel round wound) and the output shot up. I don't know what the strings that were on it when I bought it but they didn't look old and sounded ok acousticlly. So unless you are 100% certain of your strings it's worth a go.
The other thing was that I was playing with both pickups on full volume, this actually causes a volume drop. Everyone uses a slightly different blend but for me it's full on neck , half bridge. My brother also has a jazz bass and he does it the other way round

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1350389306' post='1838097']
Precisely that problem.
I put new strings on (D'Addario nickel round wound) and the output shot up. I don't know what the strings that were on it when I bought it but they didn't look old and sounded ok acousticlly. So unless you are 100% certain of your strings it's worth a go.
The other thing was that I was playing with both pickups on full volume, this actually causes a volume drop. Everyone uses a slightly different blend but for me it's full on neck , half bridge. My brother also has a jazz bass and he does it the other way round
[/quote]

Thanks for this.

I will try a different string setup, they are Rotosound at the moment, may try some of those [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]D'Addario's. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I keep the back pickup on full front on about half. [/font][/color]