Why become a member? ×

Amp / bass matching

Guest MoJo

Do certain bass/amp combinations work better than others. My Fender TB600 seems to work well with my passive Yamahas but not so well with my Stingray which seems to want something cleaner sounding than the Fenders tube preamp. Has anyone else experienced this?

Edited by MoJo

Over the years I have come to believe this too. Or maybe it is in the hands and I not fighting my sound like i did when i started out. Also certain guitars and basses suit certain line ups. Cut better and sit in the mix better.
I think sometimes all the right things come together.

Using a G&L highlights this problem all the time. I used to have a great option with my old rig, effectively one of three that with all variables listed above with my technique, that is useless with my current set-up, but the other two are much, much better. Compromise I suppose is the only option, and if there was a perfect solution, there wouldn't be so many fabulous manufacturers about, each offering something different!

I find I don't get a sound I like when I've been provided with Ashdown's as a bass backline. The last time I had to use their cabs at a gig it was a 4x10 and 1x 15 but used my own mesaboogie walkabout and that was better but not great.
Trace elliot's sound great when I've heard other bassists playing them but again when I used one of their new combo's provided as back line for a gig it's own sound seemed to dominate and the tonal changes I was making from my bass did not come through as readily like my mesa powerhouse cabs. But then I did try loads of bass amp cab combinations before settling for the mesa boogie rig.

jazzyvee

I guess its probably the same as guitar amps and guitar types...

Use a strat with a marshall and it'll sound like breaking glass because there isn't enough output from a standard strat to drive the pre in a marshall. Use a Les Paul, or something with humbuckers with a Vox or Fender twin and it'll start breaking up before you can hear it and sound mellow and fat. And so the general consensus is to use Fender Twin or Vox AC30 with a Strat, and a Marshall with a Gibson (other guitars and amps are avialable - this is just the classic combinations and why).

I do think that Bass amps are alot more flexible in terms of the input handling, but in terms of the sound they will be voiced in a way that best suits a certain kind of bass, and a certain kind of music. Hence Ashdowns and Ampegs are often seen with rock bands wheras the more clean/modern Markbass, Genz etc. usually grace the back of a Jazz stage.

IMO anyway :)

I think the main factor is personal taste. One man's perfect combination is another's fartbox.

I've read a few folk on here over the years saying that "X" bass sounds crap through their rig, but "Y" bass sounds awesome.