Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Musicman??

bengovier182

I love the musicman stingray basses, they're just great. But thats not what this is about.

Ive come across a couple if these musicman SUB basses, and sterling by musicman (is it?).

Whats the deal with these? Are they like, squier by fender, epiphone by gibson? Or something else entirely?

If someone can fill me in or give me any Insight into these basses, id appreciate it.

Tar, ben.

the sterling sub is pretty much like the squier is to fender with the sterling rays a bit like the mexican fenders
have a sterling ray and a a sub in the house couldnt tell much difference in the shop between a stingray and the sterling ray but only played the stingray for 15 minutes

Edited by mushers

Simple ... but complicated as well.

Musicman Sub Bass - made from about 2003 to 2005 ish - USA built cheaper versions of the Stingray (with 4 or 5 strings) and Sterling 4; poplar slab body (no contours for belly or forearm); limited colours; textured finish; painted neck (like the Bongo), with rosewood board; available as 2 band active EQ (or in the case of the Stingray passive also); chequerplate aluminium pickguard; 5 string is as 4 string Ray in terms of oval pickguard and body (ie not the regular SR5 body). If you see one available used v good value for money and get the 2 band Stingray sound exactly (in the case of the active versions).

Sterling By Musicman (SBMM) - more affordable versions of the Sterling 4, regular SR4 and Classic SR4 and SR5 basses in limited colour finishes and single pick up only - made in Indonesia (same factory as Laklands etc) using some parts shipped out from USA; set up and quality checked in USA; generally have cheaper hardware, but swamp ash bodies (SR) and basswood (Sterling), some with trans finish (honeyburst or natural) and every bit a more affordable version of the MIA Musicman basses. The version of the Classic SR4 has a Sterling profile neck abd 2 band EQ - the other models have the 3 band EQ.

SBMM Sub Series - Released a couple of months back - low price point (£250) version of the SBMM basses (except SR5 is the SR4 type with oval pickguard etc (whereas the regular SBMM SR5 is literally a more affordable version of the normal EBMM SR5 with coli tap, 3 band EQ, teardrop pickguard and contoured body edge) - active 2 band EQ only; limited range of finishes including walnut stain - can't remember the body wood but it's a hard wood local to Indonesia. Again, these are said to cop the MM 2 band vibe very well at a low price point, so a good back up bass or higher priced entry bass, or upgrade from a cheaper Fender copy.

Probably the best analogy in terms of quality and range is Fender Custom Shop (MIA MM) (because EBMM generally allow far more choice of colour, pick up config, neck config etc and high quality standard; after sales customer service - effectively a custom shop); somewhere between MIA and MIM Fender (SBMM) and somewhere between MIM Fender and Squire (SBMM Sub).

Price wise, they compare as MIA, MIM and Squire ranges.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1349440225' post='1826341']
i would personally pick the Musicman SUB any day over the sterling by musicman because the Musicman SUB is a proper musicman bass but just a lower model compare to their famous stingray version etc.

Is just like Fender MIM which is a proper Fender compare to Fender Squier.
[/quote]

Not totally - the SBMM basses are closer to the American MM basses, if only by the extent of range covered and finish standard available.

In hindsight I think the SBMM Sub would sit somewhere between an MIM and Squire.

[quote name='bengovier182' timestamp='1349441044' post='1826358']
Thanks a lot guys, an ad just popped up for one and figured id get a little bakground on them.

Cheers, ben.
[/quote]

I suggest if its used, and an MIA Sub you ask the year the bass was made and the serial number (on the back of the headstock for an MIA Sub) - if you register on the EBMM Musicman bass forum, you can post the serial in the sticky thread at the top and they'll reply with year, colour etc and you can check whether its bona fide etc. You ought to check whether its active or passive - the passive are OK but obviously not as powerful.

If it's an SBMM sub it can only be a couple of months old at most.

An MIA Sub bass is a great value used bass.

I had a 1998 Musicman Stingray, with a 2011 Sterling by Musicman Ray34 as backup. Ultimately I sold each of them, as in truth, they just don`t suit me as a player, but to my limited experience of these basses, there really wasn`t much in it between them. The SBMM Ray34 was a cracking bass - in fact I probably preferred it over the actual Stingray for playability. Re tone, well I only used it at home, not in a band situation, so can`t comment there.