Why become a member? ×

Best places to get work

Stu1980

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1349273074' post='1824083']
All of the work that I've got is from meeting people and then being referred to others. It's really the
tried and tested way of doing it,and still the best way.
[/quote]

+1

I can't think of any work I have got that wasn't from networking. It's all about getting out to gigs and jam sessions and spreading the word.

Edited by geoffbassist

Yep Jam nights are a good way to start in a new town. Getting your face (and your bass playing) known is they key. I moved to a new town a few years ago, answered an ad in Gumtree for a hobby band just to get out and about and gigging, that band split up after a few months but most of the members joined or started doing other bands, they know people, the people they are in bands with know people. After 3 years I had the lovely surprise the other day, I responded to an ad for a bass player with a view to auditioning for them. They reply I got was:

"Hey there, its OK our guitarist knows who you are, an audition won't be necessary. When can you practice?"

Just get out there, don't be shy :)

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1349369843' post='1825427']
They reply I got was:

"Hey there, its OK our guitarist knows who you are, an audition won't be necessary. When can you practice?"

[/quote]

That's amazing!!

Yeah as well as everything that's been said just be proavctive, make your own work. Put a cover band and approach a booking agent, see if any pubs are looking for a house band for jam nights, see if restaurants need any music, advertise!

I've gotten much more work by doing this than from answering ads on gumtree!

Talking to people is always the best way.
I started going to jam nights about 3 months ago, since then I have been to a few auditions and had many offers to join bands.
I have currently got an audition planned for this week and another band are wanting me to gig regularly with them.
I never said to them I was looking for work.

Some good advice. In a nutshell, you've got to get out there and get your face known. My experience of Jam nights are that they are good, but they tend to be monotonous after a couple of weeks, but hopefully the splinter groups then take over and the invitations start rolling in. Good luck.