Why become a member? ×

I'm thinking........

deefer_dog

Getting a Squier raher than Fender. From 99% of squiers I have played, I can't fault them at all, and compared to the price of Fenders in Ireland, why pay 2-3 times more?

Question is, which one? Brand snobbery is something I couldn't care about ( As my lineup shows ) .

One day I will have a higher end bass, when I win the lotto..... but until then, what are your fav Squier models ( 4-stringers )?

Thanking ye!!

I can honestly say I dont think you will regret your decision. I can highly recommend the Squier Classic Vibe range, I have the Precision and its a lovely instrument, even has a lovely bit of flame/birdseye on the neck but thats just luck. I have played the classic vibe jazz and that is a great bass too and I have played a few now and the consistency is great, all well made.

If you look secondhand and have the cash the Mexican classic basses are well worth a look and superb basses for the money. Saw one go for about £360 on ebay the other day.

• 3 weeks later...

I've played a couple of Classic Vibes and they were both really nice. I really like the look and specs of the VM Jaguar (the black/tort PJ).

You can get some cracking deals on used ones, as I did recently. Mine's a 2004 Indonesian-made standard series Precision Special - black with matching headstock and mirror scratchplate, J neck on P body with an extra J pickup in the bridge position. It sounds and feels great - for £90. My only complaint would be that the J is a little noisy (not noticeable in a band mix), the pots a little scratchy (after a few years of use and abuse before me) and the tuners slightly flimsy. For another £150 or so I could turn this from a great backup bass into a true player's bass, i.e. it'll never be worth much if I sell it, but it'll be priceless in use and I'd put it against any Fender.

When people say "Fender is overpriced" I just figure that Squier are going to be too (and they are) - if you check out the other brands out there today you'll find an instrument that'll tan a Squier's ass on every price range. That vintage vibe and tone found on the records of old is only found with Fender & Squier though. I love G&L and ESP for improving on the Fender and Gibson instruments, they are FAR more versatile and better built but don't 100% nail the 50's, 60's and 70's vintage tones. I'd say you can get 80% of the way.

[quote name='SoVeryTired' timestamp='1350771462' post='1843417']
The received wisdom would be "avoid the Affinity series" - I don't know from experience though.
[/quote]

Sue Ryder's £60 P bass trumped the Squier Affinity I used to play (£150 at the time). The neck on the affinity split during a gig, whilst being played by my mate who owned it. The CV is a different kettle of fish from the affinity but I still feel them overpriced at £282 or whatever.