Why become a member? ×

Total numpty...

TheRev

I had two wedding gigs yesterday, which meant leaving home at 10am. Everyone arrived at my place on time so no big rush. I loaded the bass into the drummers car, the singer brought out the stands that I'd set out in the middle of the music room 'is that everything?' I ask, 'yep' days singer and off we went to meet the guitarist 60 miles away. Meet guitarist, transfer everything into the van and off we go, with plenty of time to hit our 1pm set up time.

Get to the venue - nice stage with an easy load in. It's all going so well...... and then I realise that I've left my gig bag at home. This is the bag containing my amp, preamp, cables, tuner, mics, everything!

So, no choice but to plug my Bassmax straight into the desk and use the wedges for monitoring. The sound was nowhere near as bad as expected, but the wedges were breaking up a bit under the extra bass.

It wasn't a disaster, but from now on I'm double and triple checking when I leave the house. And don't rely on singers, they know nothing!

I've driven 34 miles to find I had left my bass at home and also left it lying on the floor in the car park outside my flat - it was still there when I got back an hour later. Did my first double bass gig where I didn't take my electric 'just in case'. ONly trouble is, my leads are all in the case with the electric bass. Numptyism is a universal issue.

• 4 weeks later...

I remember a foggy wintry night getting picked up for a function band gig.
loaded up and drove 30-odd miles to the gig.
Unloaded, amp, speakers, leads, 12 string, flute, bass pedals, mic and stands...but no fecking bass,
and I'm a lefty! Eejit!

Such was the nature of the gig the punters didn't notice,
but I sweated thro embarrassment and ribbing all night.
...and then had one of the 'social' club members advise me that my flute was [b]too long [/b]
and didn't need "that bit on the end"!

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1350400549' post='1838296']
About a year ago, I left my double bass in the dining room with my 2 year old son......the neck is no longer attached to the body.... :(
[/quote]
Ouch! After I caught my son sticking staples in my piano stool, we put a lock on the room where musical instruments are kept .....!

About a year ago, I left my double bass in the dining room with my 2 year old son......the neck is no longer attached to the body.... :(
[/quote]

Aagh that hurts... had a sax player turn to my gig with an empty case. In a previous life when I played the Trom I left it lying in the middle of the road after playing in a marching band and didn't realise it was missing till the next day when I opened the case and ...there it was....GONE!

[/quote]

Harsh but fair.

...oh, you mean the [b]bass[/b]'s neck...