Why become a member? ×

What's the best noise gate pedal for up to £60/£70?

StevieD_FenderP2009

Hey guys

I'm looking at getting a noise gate pedal for my travel pedal board (I use it for gigs I can't take my main rig to) so obviously, I don't want it to cost the earth. Maximum really £60/£70.

The 2 obvious ones out there are the Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor and the MXR Smart Gate M135 but I don't know if they would suck the tone out of a bass guitar? I don't want to lose any of the tone I have, it would just be nice to get rid of the hiss etc that comes with using a lot of treble along with slight overdrive and the occasional tad of chorus. It has to be powered by a 9v battery or be able to be powered off a standard 9v pedal adapter as I use one of those pedal snake things but i'm looking to get a power brick somewhere down the line.

Throw suggestions at me but please, do not suggest any behringer pedals. I'm a bit heavy footed and smashed one of those Behringer plastic ones before xD plus, the pedals are crap! Their rack equipment is good but that's another thread and story...

NOISE GATE PEDALS!

Edited by StevieD_FenderP2009

The NS-2 has a bit of tone suckage, but loads and loads of people use them and it is in your budget! You might find you prefer your tone? I had an old ProCo Juggernaut which I really didnt like, but the slight high end rollof when it was left clean actually made my tone sound a little bit better to my ears :)

I run almost all of what's on my board within the loop of the Boss NS-2. I could probably get away without using it but I like that absolute silence and I actually think my tone is better with the pedal on!
[IMG]http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr155/spider_lad/969c4d7a.jpg[/IMG]

Chris - I just checked out the Decimator, my god they're expensive! Won't be getting one of those although I wish I could.

Thisnameistaken - I use a lot of high end on my clean bass tone so that coupled with overdrive and compression have left me with an annoying hissing sound when i'm not playing so I just want it there to gate that off really :)

D-L-B - That's one awesome and very complicated looking board. I hate you though, you have 5 of the pedals I really want! (NS-2, LS-2, Sansamp Para Driver, TC Flashback and Digitech Whammy). I'll have to see if anyone I know has an NS-2 and borrow it for a couple of days to test it out. Currently in the process of a complete rig re-build as well.

I've got an MXR Smart Gate on my guitar board, does the job ok, although it's a fine balance between having it kill the noise and having it cut off the end of long, sustained notes. Adding a compressor which will hopefully help me fix this! Good pedal though, and fairly widely available on the used market.

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers for the responses guys.

Definitely looks like the overwhelming vote goes to the NS-2 which is kinda handy as it means I can go get that, a tuner and some other pedal on the BOSS but 2 get one free thing :P

I would love a Decimator like what you had Dood but that is a little out of the price range unfortunately.

Cheers then guys!