Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Quiet B

Si600

Worro,

My B string has disappeared! Well, not literally :) but it's really quiet compared to the other four. I've tried boosting it using my EQ, but I don't think the GE-7B is young enough to cope with a 5er. I haven't yet tried raising the pickup height on the bass side.

Any other suggestions?

It's a P-J configuration bass with EMG pickups, and yes, the battery is fine!

Edited by Si600

I put the EMG's in earlier this year and I was perfectly happy with the sound then, so it must have just started. They are nearly new strings and hardly been used, 30 to 40 hours maybe. I only noticed last night when I was actually trying to make up a bass line that included the B!

I've got a bit of a build project going on where I tried to fit an EMG P pup to my Squier 5 string precision (they originally came with Jazz pups). I had the whole pickup area routed out so I could move them around, but I just can't get happy with the B String. It always seems weak when I pull the string up as normal, but it I thumb it down it is ok. I have tried moving the pup further and further towards the top of the guitar until the B was almost in the middle of the pup but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I wondered if the 9V configuration was saturating with the low frequencies, but I gave up for a while. Maybe it is time to revsit!

Another possibility to think about - I once fitted a new set of Labella flats to my other Squier precision. The B string felt really "tight" and again didn't have any oomph compared to the other strings. I played the bass in a couple of rehearsals and then in the first gig, the string core snapped. I got a replacement from the supplier, and the bass felt great after that.

Just two possibilities that might be something (or nothing!) to do with your problem!

Have you checked that the B is 'anchored' properly at both ends? Some basses have a string retainer near the nut to pull the B down tightly over the nut to make good contact. If it doesn't have one, make sure the string is at the bottom of the tuning post to keep the sharpest angle possible across the nut. Also check the bridge end and make sure it's seating properly.

Next thing to check is the pickup height.

Failing all that probably a dodgy B string :unsure:

Edited by zero9