Why become a member? ×

Finally on board

Dave Vader

So thanks to Lowend Stu I have got myself a lovely new (second hand) Harley Benton EUB. I had no idea that scale was so long!
Anyone point me at some books to help me get my head around it? It's not too hard, but my right hand technique needs some work to get a decent volume (or is it my left? See I don't know)
I know you'll all say get lessons, but I am reluctant, and cocky enough to thing I can do this on my own. The only pain i have from spending the las hour messing about with it is a blister on my right hand index finger, which I count as a win. But probably means i'm not doing it right.
Anyhow, I can play Lovecats quite well now, but that's about it.
Happy happy....

You mean one like this?

Treat it like a double bass, and follow the double bass pizzicato technique with your plucking hand, not the normal plucking style you use on bass guitar. As for your fretting hand, there are several fingering techniques - bottom line is, you will probably need to use your 3rd and 4th fingers together to press the strings, at least while you are starting out.

There are videos on the internet, if you search, but the best thing would be to have a few one-to-one lessons, so that the teacher can show you the correct technique that will save you pain or worse.

You can start having a look at something like this to get an idea...

[url="http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_2584_play-upright-bass.html"]http://www.ehow.com/...right-bass.html[/url]

EDIT: use the spacing bar! I find it's vital to allow you to keep the correct distance from the fingerboard.

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1347480148' post='1801503']
It's not too hard, but my right hand technique needs some work to get a decent volume (or is it my left? See I don't know)
[/quote]

Yep.

Your right hand technique probably needs to change.

It's easier to 'show' than it is to write but you essentially need to be playing the string with your index finger pointed downwards and using the thumb side of your index finger pad, keeping it parallel to the string - if you've got a blister there then you've been doing it right. ;)

It'll soon harden up (remember when you first started playing bass guitar?) and you'll soon develop that lateral control to give you consistant and adequate volume across all the strings.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1347480148' post='1801503']
I know you'll all say get lessons, but I am reluctant, and cocky enough to thing I can do this on my own. The only pain i have from spending the las hour messing about with it is a blister on my right hand index finger, which I count as a win. But probably means i'm not doing it right.
[/quote]
Get over your reluctance and cockyness and go get lessons. Seriously..it will do you so much more good to be shown
even 'simple' things like basic technique and posture than going it alone.
The only time I've ever had blisters from playing upright is when I struggle to hear myself and I end up plucking too hard-it's
definitely not a win.

Sorry for delay, have been over on the other bass site with it's palatino megathread.
They have good ideas over there.
Thanks for the advice bluejay, yep, just like yours, though I am finding the spacing bar to be a painful annoyance, it doesn't help the thing balance without using my left hand to hold it up, I'm thinking a modified cymbal stand is the way to go.
And I realise that lessons have their place, but thus far in my life I've taught myself guitar, piano, banjo, mandolin and a bunch of other instruments using little more than a headful of theory, and the "if it hurts I am probably doing it wrong" school of thought, and largely it has worked. Can't see why this instrument is anymore special than those, few pointers here and there and i should be okay.
Not saying that is isn't right for other people, and not wanting to start any arguments, just going on experience, and if it starts to hurt and i can't fix it, I'll think about it. :)

I think I am playing harder than I need to, I suspect I need to fiddle with the pickup angle, and turn the amp up. I read somewhere that you need to play them harder than bass guitars (and I really play them hard, maybe calm down).
Will try and get another hour or so in tonight, sadly can't duck out of it now, posted a picture of it on FB last night, and got a "F&*K yeah we're using that!" comment from Maz (whose band i play for) so nobody's letting me stop.
:)

Yep, fiddled with the pickup angle, took the spacer out and the whole thing came together really nicely. Just played through the whole of our usual set with only a few wobbles here and there. This should go well.
BTW, any idea why my EUB has position dots for a lefty while everything else is set up right handed?
Mildly annoying, but turns out I can hit the right notes even without the dots, hooray!
Also, side finger blister means rolling ciggies is now quite painful.....

[size=6][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][sup]Nice one Dave, enjoy the ride! Am branching out myself at the moment as I'm looking at giving the whole fretless thing a go......[/sup]
[sup]Hope it all goes well[/sup]
[sup]Cheers[/sup]
[sup]Dave[/sup][/font][/size]

Edited by pnefc42

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1347550444' post='1802347']
And I realise that lessons have their place, but thus far in my life I've taught myself guitar, piano, banjo, mandolin and a bunch of other instruments using little more than a headful of theory, and the "if it hurts I am probably doing it wrong" school of thought, and largely it has worked.
[/quote]
Fine,but I still believe that you will benefit from lessons.

Can't see why this instrument is anymore special than those,
[/quote]
One word...... Arco.

Edited by Doddy

And I realise that lessons have their place, but thus far in my life I've taught myself guitar, piano, banjo, mandolin and a bunch of other instruments using little more than a headful of theory, and the "if it hurts I am probably doing it wrong" school of thought, and largely it has worked. Can't see why this instrument is anymore special than those, few pointers here and there and i should be okay.
Not saying that is isn't right for other people, and not wanting to start any arguments, just going on experience, and if it starts to hurt and i can't fix it, I'll think about it.
[/quote]

I've just started on EUB and am really enjoying it BUT I would seriously reconsider lessons - I've had 2 off our very own Jake Newman and the tips he's given me have been invauable to help me playing. Double bass is different to the other instruments you have mentioned as its very size not only makes it more difficult to balance and hold properly but also its that much harder to play a stop. Anyway each to their own and all that - keep having fun with it , I know I am :)

Yeah, I know it would be useful, don't know anyone near me, and not sure if i can take it.
Never had a lesson in my life on anything (well a few months of piano when I was 5, but i forgot most of that, and it put me off lessons). Learned all the theory in general music lessons at school, and am happily self taught otherwise.
If I was near jake I probably would.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1348067356' post='1808810']
Yeah, I know it would be useful, don't know anyone near me, and not sure if i can take it.
Never had a lesson in my life on anything , and am happily self taught otherwise.
[/quote]

same here,taught myself to play bass guitar 33 years ago & now teaching myself double bass.

welcome to the upright side

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1348067356' post='1808810']
Never had a lesson in my life on anything (well a few months of piano when I was 5, but i forgot most of that, and it put me off lessons). Learned all the theory in general music lessons at school, and am happily self taught otherwise.
If I was near jake I probably would.
[/quote]

Picked up my first upright bass on Wednesday, had my first lesson today and despite being largely self taught on the electric bass..... you gotta to get at least one lesson ;)

Just being shown the best position for the bass, your thumb, your arm and your fingers has already made it easier to make progress quicker. No point in reinventing the wheel, and a lot of what you do on electric just won't work on upright.

Good luck!