Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB2024 Vol/Tone Pot Resistance Values

Ruck

Hey everybody, as the title implies, Im hoping one of you kind BB2024/BB2025 owners would spare the time to have a look at the Volume and Tone pots used in this bass. Ive been using BB2024 pickups in my BB1200 and eventhough the tone is full bodied and mid-elicious, it lacks the high end bite I expected. Currently I have the original 250K vol and tone pots in my BB1200 but I have only just learnt how pot resistance effects the high end. Im expecting the pots used along side the BB2024 pickups are 500K possibly more? Ive emailed Yamaha support too but encase they dont get back to me lightning speed Id thought Id ask here too.

Cheers!

Edited by Ruck

You can order them direct from Yamaha. I enquired about putting some in my BB415. Even though the BB1025 and BB2025 supposedly have the same pickups, the latter were more expensive, when I enquired about this I did not receive an answer!

To fix your problem you need to apply IRA and ARE treatments. Put your bass in the oven then leave it on top of the washing machine during a spin cycle. That should do the trick and make it sound like a vintage bass.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='BB2000' timestamp='1347166848' post='1797559']
Cheaper and less bother to change the cap. Replace with one of half the value (or put another of the same value in series).

How did you manage to aquire BB2024 pickups?
[/quote]
Would 2 caps in series do that? Did you mean in parallel (although that would double the capacitance).

BB2000 thanks for the suggestion, so would changing the cap really have the same effect as changing the pots? I mean pots are very cheap anyway and nothing compared to the price of the pickups :) which are indeed direct from Yamaha just email their support team. They are mighty expensive however it works out probably the same as buying for example, EMGs, doing the extra routing and covering up the excess gaps left by the original rout with some sort of pick guard.

Saying that I would still like to hear from any BB2024 owners.

Cheers

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1347172107' post='1797573']
You can order them direct from Yamaha. I enquired about putting some in my BB415. Even though the BB1025 and BB2025 supposedly have the same pickups, the latter were more expensive, when I enquired about this I did not receive an answer!

To fix your problem you need to apply IRA and ARE treatments. Put your bass in the oven then leave it on top of the washing machine during a spin cycle. That should do the trick and make it sound like a vintage bass.
[/quote]

IRA and ARE treatment hey :) my bass is already 33 years old! no need for fancy marketing jargen. Besides Im not going for a vintage sound hense why I modded the bass in the first place. I was after the body mostly as I wanted a neck-through PJ bass and the BB1200 popped up cheap cheap on ebay. Ideal really due to the reverse P.

[quote name='Ruck' timestamp='1347382563' post='1800054']
Roughly speaking the P is £120 and the J £80.
[/quote]

That's not too bad, I thought they'd be much more expensive than that. Might plonk some in one of my BB200's to give them a whirl.

[quote name='Ruck' timestamp='1347382618' post='1800057']
Dont suppose you'd care to have a look Sean, into one of your 2024s pleeeeeeeeease. ta
[/quote]

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1347385480' post='1800097']
They are 250 ohm.
[/quote]

Although he never asked, he'll need to know the cap value as well.

[quote name='Ruck' timestamp='1347719655' post='1804327']
Many thanks Sean your efforts are much appreciated! faster than Yamaha too :)
[/quote]
A pleasure. I have a battery operated screwdriver, Yamaha probably only have a manual one, so that's why they're a bit slow ;)

• 5 months later...

[quote name='Ruck' timestamp='1347148799' post='1797520']
Hey everybody, as the title implies, Im hoping one of you kind BB2024/BB2025 owners would spare the time to have a look at the Volume and Tone pots used in this bass. Ive been using BB2024 pickups in my BB1200 and eventhough the tone is full bodied and mid-elicious, it lacks the high end bite I expected. Currently I have the original 250K vol and tone pots in my BB1200 but I have only just learnt how pot resistance effects the high end. Im expecting the pots used along side the BB2024 pickups are 500K possibly more? Ive emailed Yamaha support too but encase they dont get back to me lightning speed Id thought Id ask here too.

Cheers!
[/quote]

Did you get this sorted? Been thinking of doing the same thing with mine...
Was it a straight swap and can you use the original pick up ring??
Oh and any pix???
Cheers
Ian.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Ruck' timestamp='1347148799' post='1797520']

Cheers!
[/quote]

I'm thinking of replacing original 250 k vol pot by 500 k pot on my BB 2024x because i find that sound is a bit dark. I dont' think like BB2000 said that a cap change will solve the problem because cap doesn't affect the tone when tone pot is full open and in my case sound is a little bit too dark even if tone pot is full open.
Maybe a strings change could fix propblem: nikel=>steel

Edited by gargouill

[quote name='gargouill' timestamp='1423727273' post='2688253']
I'm thinking of replacing original 250 k vol pot by 500 k pot on my BB 2024x because i find that sound is a bit dark. I dont' think like BB2000 said that a cap change will solve the problem because cap doesn't affect the tone when tone pot is full open and in my case sound is a little bit too dark even if tone pot is full open.
[/quote]

You could save some time and trouble and temporarily disconnect one lead of the cap. The pot and cap will then be out of the equation and if there is no brightening of tone, an increase in pot or reduction in cap won't help.
Have you tried a good quality lead? Some leads can be tone killers.

[quote]
Maybe a strings change could fix propblem: nikel=>steel
[/quote]
It did for me.