Why become a member? ×

Hardest thing with picks and fingers.

norvegicusbass

I am currently trying to play with a pick as I have always been a finger player and thought it wise to broaden the scope of my playing by incorporating the pick into my playing. I am progressing slowly to say the least and find it almost impossible to do octave skips with any speed or fluency at all. For example when I play the octave skips on the chorus to ELO's Last Train To London I can play this quite easily with fingers but I cant play at all with a pick. This got me thinking for those who played almost exclusively with fingers and then tried using a pick what was the hardest thing you had to master and likewise for those who grew up on picks when you switched to fingers what caused you the most trouble?

I just find that having played with a pick for years, and having right hand fingers that are slightly twisted with arthritis, I find pretty much anything fingerstyle a trial.

Probably because I have used a pick for so many years I just have ways around that I know work.

At r/h on Weds we were doing Burlesque and I thought I would give it a go with fingers, but it all felt so much more fluid using the pick. String skips & all. Same with Highway Star.

That said I do recall that a few years back when we were doing a more bluesy set I did switch over more to fingers instead of pick, and with perseverance managed to get much better in time. Trouble is now that the fingers have twisted slightly so that they fall over each other & I just don't have the patience to work at something other than a pick.

I think there is a general feeling that pick playing is easier than playing with fingers. I certainly don't subscribe to that point of view and my attempts have made me have a much greater appreciation of JJB, Chris Squire, Carol Kaye et al. Just been having a go at Immigrant Song and there is no way I can do the octaves at speed. The scales are doable just but the octaves no way. I think JPJ used a pick on this sometimes.