Why become a member? ×

fender 70s reissue jazz bass.

herman

I had one for a while - the Classic 70s - however realised I`m not a Jazz-man, so sold it. But the bass itself was great, really good build quality, a dream to play, and those funky 70s sounds due to the pickup placement. The neck was nice, apparently they are a bit deeper than a regular Jazz neck, but it was still nice and fast to play. Plus, sunburst, black pickguard, bound neck & blocks - ultra-cool to look at too. I`ve only ever had one other Jazz, a Squier, so can`t really offer comparisons, but I thought the Classic 70s was well worth the money.

I kind of owned one... Ordered one which arrived with a massive dent, sent it back and it's replacement arrived with a twisted neck, sent that one back and received another with a bowed neck. At that point I gave up (one the retailer, more than the 70s reissue) and went elsewhere, tried as many jazzes as i could and bought an American Special. The first one with a big dent in was a really nice bass. I'd have kept it but the retailer wouldn't offer any discount.
There is one for sale locally and I would love it. They look superb and the neck is wonderful.

thanks for the replies chaps, ive got a 2008 natural 2eq stingray with maple neck, its got a wonderful sound, but i just cant get on with the width of the neck, so should be up for sale/trade soon! hence the wanting of a jazz bass! really would like one in sunburst/rosewood neck.

thanks herman.

I tried one in a local shop (Banks on Lendal in York) a couple of weeks ago and it did nothing for me, and I like Jazzes. The necks are a little on the chunky side and it felt a bit cheap generally. Sound wise it was OK - sounded like a Jazz, can't go far wrong with that after 50 years of practise I suppose. And I liked the look of the blocks although the binding wasn't finished very well.

The 70s necks were a little deeper than the 60s ones, plus the string spacing was very slightly tighter at the nut probably to accommodate the bindings round the edge of the fingerboard. The chubbier neck always used to put me off 70s Fenders but I'm now finding I can play a little faster on them than the slim 60s profile.

The Japanese 70s reissues might be worth a look too.

They are, in my opinion, a future classic.

I don't see a huge difference between my American Vintage 75 reissue jazz and my Mexican Classic 70s jazz. I love them both though.

The necks are the same depth (I've measured them using vernier callipers).

The US bass has a nicer colour in the binding and better hardware and is definately a higher quality bass but at three times the price you'd expect that.

I'd say the classic 70s is a great series and well worth the money.

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1346457709' post='1789621']
They are, in my opinion, a future classic.

I don't see a huge difference between my American Vintage 75 reissue jazz and my Mexican Classic 70s jazz. I love them both though.

The necks are the same depth (I've measured them using vernier callipers).

The US bass has a nicer colour in the binding and better hardware and is definately a higher quality bass but at three times the price you'd expect that.

I'd say the classic 70s is a great series and well worth the money.

Frank.
[/quote]

Ah ........... a man with taste and perception.

Just got one of these and its the bollox - and I say that after comparing it with all sorts of other jazz basses

Just get one