Why become a member? ×

Thought its about time I loaded a video

SpaceChick

After only 4 months of playing that's really good. Well done. I thought your timing was pretty good. It seems like your left hand is struggling to get to some notes that are further apart and that might be what's affecting your timing if anything. Your right hand is doing ok and as was said above, Mr Jamerson never used more than one finger so don't worry too much about that. You'll find your own style that works for what you want to play.

Yes, there are some issues with dynamics and string noise but half the battle with sorting those is being able to hear and identify the problem. Keep doing what you're doing and you'll soon be sounding a lot smoother.

Well done! You obviously have a good feel for the timing. One small point - the E string is ringing at times when it should be damped. You probably should look at moving your right thumb's anchor point, i.e. pickup for E string, E string for A string, between E and A (muting both) etc. EDIT: at least that's how I solved it - better check with your teacher.

No that I'm any kind of expert, but it's something I had to work on in the beginning.

By the way, I don't wear makeup either :)

Edited by dincz

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1346086078' post='1785073']
Well done! You obviously have a good feel for the timing. One small point - the E string is ringing at times when it should be damped. You probably should look at moving your right thumb's anchor point, i.e. pickup for E string, E
string for A string, between E and A (muting both) etc. EDIT: at least that's how I solved it - better check with your teacher.

No that I'm any kind of expert, but it's something I had to work on in the beginning.

By the way, I don't wear makeup either :)
[/quote]my tutor told me to keep my thumb on the pick up at all times?? We're all different i spose,

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1346086618' post='1785081']
my tutor told me to keep my thumb on the pick up at all times?? We're all different i spose,
[/quote]

Exactly. That's why I thought I should edit the post. It seems to vary a lot from one player to another. It's pretty ingrained with me and I'm probably stuck with it now :(

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1346086078' post='1785073']
Well done! You obviously have a good feel for the timing. One small point - the E string is ringing at times when it should be damped. You probably should look at moving your right thumb's anchor point, i.e. pickup for E string, E string for A string, between E and A (muting both) etc.

[/quote]
[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1346086618' post='1785081']
my tutor told me to keep my thumb on the pick up at all times?? We're all different i spose,
[/quote]

Yes, we are all different and we all have our own way of muting. However, it is generally accepted that from an injury aspect, it is better to have the wrists straight.

The technique described in the top quote fulfills this criteria, but resting the thumb on the pickup can cause problems in the long term. Yes, lots of players do it without problems, but others do experience wrist trouble with this technique. The "Floating Thumb" technique is ideal because apart from muting the strings, the wrist is straight. Here it is demonstrated.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVMBPmrblU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVMBPmrblU[/url]

I like the floating thumb feel - I've had advice on doing it both ways (two different bass teachers) but my current teacher recommends a floating thumb and it seems to work really well, and it *feels* much more natural and allows the hand to stay relaxed as well as being great for damping.

It seems to be one of those controversies though!