Why become a member? ×

Semi-hollow basses

Rubbersoul

[quote name='MrFingers' timestamp='1346319481' post='1787759']
The one on the left is indeed a Coronado "Wildwood III" from 1968, next to it a 1962 Framus Star Bass "5/149", and at the right the 1964 Gibson EB-2 (factory conversion to EB-2D)
[/quote]
I've heard rumour of a new Gibson EB2D coming out next year, possibly with long scale.

Yes, it will be a bass based on the [url="http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/Data/Product_Images/GIBDSDCCTVSCH15.jpg"]Midtown[/url]. So it will have vibe of the EB2, but with a flat top, wrong dimensions of the body (it looks like cheap Chinese copy), probably the narrower headstock... No, give me the real deal, or if you want a longscale, the Greco SA-B.

[quote name='MrFingers' timestamp='1346323700' post='1787817']
Yes, it will be a bass based on the [url="http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/Data/Product_Images/GIBDSDCCTVSCH15.jpg"]Midtown[/url]. So it will have vibe of the EB2, but with a flat top, wrong dimensions of the body (it looks like cheap Chinese copy), probably the narrower headstock... No, give me the real deal, or if you want a longscale, the Greco SA-B.
[/quote]
That's Gibson for you!

The banjo tuners were just until 1961, from 1964 (when production restarted after a 2 year hiatus), the tuners were the standard "elephant ear" Kluson 456.

Not to surf too much off topic: I had the casady, and it's an amazing bass, but it's also a strange thing. The pickup is a Low-Z (low impedance) pickup, giving you a very clean, natural, dynamic sound. Downside to it is that it requires special electronics (if the pots go scratchy, you'll have a hard time finding the correct replacements. You'll need 2.5K (two and a half) with a long shaft, which I still haven't found. I ordered 2 at Epiphone a year back, and still haven't got them...

Edited by MrFingers