Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass on a budget (finally finished with pics) and Jazz Bass Mk 2 on even less of a budget!

DarkHeart

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1347383231' post='1800067']
yup, not a massive issue. i would be more concerned that they only work at the last quarter of a turn. my guess would be to put taper pots in.
[/quote]

Here's a thought. If they're wired backwards, would that not mean that it woudl then be the 1st quarter a turn?

Wwhen I rewired the electrics in my bass, I put a logarithmic taper pot on the volume & a linear taper pot on the tone (the other 2 pots are Pick up blend & I now have one to control CV on moogers (the black knob). The white stripes are just insulation tape that I was using to mark where I was drilling a hole in the back to fit the CV jack. I never tok them back off.

haha well, i did sort of suggest if it turned out nice it would warrent better pups and controls and it has, still a cheap bass though at under £120 with the new controls, the main thing is though playing something youve sourced the parts for and put together yourself, you cant buy the feeling when you first plug it in and it works! i know its nowhere near as good as some of the beauties that are built on here but its mine and i did it. :D

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1347449547' post='1800885']
Haha for a minute i thought you were going to say cream coloured wilkinson pickups ;-) i have actually been wondering about those you have for sale, ive never had any wilkinson pups are they any good for the money?
[/quote]

I think they are alright. Punchy, but not as "jazzy" as I'd have wanted them to be. I replaced them in my Vintage brand Jazz with the USA set from my Fender (now with Nordstrands) and it then sounded unmistakeably "Jazz bass". Before it was a good sound, but I was no getting that particular nasal tone I like from the bridge pickup, although it sounded good, especially with both pickups in series.

If you want a "classic" Jazz bass sound, the Wilkinsons are not the best match. If you don't care so much and just want a decent punchy sound, then they are fine. Good value. But I may be biased ;)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1347447084' post='1800834']
I am so very jealous of that body.

But then I saw it all assembled, and... I'm jealous of the whole thing. Love it.

Cream-covered DiMarzio Model J pickups... hmmm ;)
[/quote] you do like naked wood bodies don't you!

new control plate arrived today as did a pot of beeswax so ive changed the controls, changed the bridge pick up and given it a polish :D going to try the wilkinson pups mcnach had for sale and put the cream covers on to see what it looks like but here it is as it stands, polished with matching entwhistle pickups. im still undecided on a headstock logo at the moment :unsure:

[IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j186/jeffhop/SNV80231.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j186/jeffhop/SNV80232.jpg[/IMG]

Having my pickups on that bass is just a cunning subterfuge to get my hands on it... eventually.
You are aware of that, aren't you? :lol: :lol:

edit: seriously, if you ever get bored and decide to sell that to make another or something... just send me a PM ;)

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1347569404' post='1802669']
If i ever come to sell it you have first refusal but that might be a while away :D i could be tempted to do another one though at some point, maybe a p/bass for a matching pair :)
[/quote]

I'm patient. :yarr:

I found Sam, who bought my first bass, at a gig back in 2010, two years after I had sold it to him.
I told him then that I wanted the bass back. Three weekends ago I took possession of that bass again.

Oh, and Sam is still alive, nothing untoward happened here :lol:

On another note... a matching P would be just the thing... just make sure you keep posting pictures :)

just for mcnach here it is with the wilkinson pups under the cream covers, sound is fairly meaty which as im in a rock band im pretty pleased about, still undecided over the headstock decal, do i or dont i? only waiting for the bridge now although if i can get a few more nightshifts in it may not get fitted when it comes anyway in favour of a badass apart from that its finished! thanks for reading my probably boring sometimes build :)

[IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j186/jeffhop/SNV80235.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j186/jeffhop/SNV80234.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j186/jeffhop/SNV80236.jpg[/IMG]

thanks umcoo, ive tried to keep it as cheap as possible and to be honest im blown away as to how good its turned out! who would have thought a £20 body off ebay bought with a triple thick coating of primer on could come up so nice, thanks to everyone who has made all the generous comments and given me the ideas needed to complete it as it is now. rehearsals tomorrow i cant wait!

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1347730315' post='1804432']
just for mcnach here it is with the wilkinson pups under the cream covers, sound is fairly meaty which as im in a rock band im pretty pleased about, still undecided over the headstock decal, do i or dont i? only waiting for the bridge now although if i can get a few more nightshifts in it may not get fitted when it comes anyway in favour of a badass apart from that its finished! thanks for reading my probably boring sometimes build :)

[/quote]

nice! Thanks for the pictures! :)