Why become a member? ×

should i give up on my old db & buy new?

MandShef

Hey guys, I'm just after your opinion. My old (1890's built Lowendahl) double bass has been in with the luthier to repair over the summer hols. It's got numerous cracks etc that need sorting. I've just been told today that to complicate matters, it looks like previous repair jobs on it have been a bit dodge, and where there should be wood, in parts there is what the luthier described as 'plastic wood' which he says is crumbling to dust when he tries to open up the back. This is going to result in it taking even longer to repair, and places it in the fragile (but beautiful) antique double bass category! In the meantime I'm having to beg & borrow double basses in order to continue my usual orchestral rehearsals & concerts. On top of this, it's putting a stop (or at least a delay) to my hopes of setting up as a teacher (can't start teaching 'til I've got a fully functional bass to use!). Part of me is thinking it might be worth offering my poor old, valuable (but fragile) double bass up in part-exchange for a new, perhaps not as good but stronger double bass (after all - I have to be able to travel to concerts and to potential music students with confidence). On the other hand, I keep getting told what a good double bass I've got, that it's a beautiful instrument, not to be parted with - that if I persevere I'll have a very good instrument to play that should sound beautiful. What would you guys do - keep it (& put up with the long period without + forever worry about every slight knock) or sell & replace it (& possibly regret losing a lovely antique!)? I can't afford to pay for repairs [i]and [/i]buy a cheaper spare bass to take to concerts etc (& besides I'd have no space for an extra one) so it'll have to be one or the other :/

What would you do (I think I can guess but I'm just curious)?!

If you do buy new, chances are you'll spend a good deal of money on top of the cost of the new bass in order to get the bass playing how you want it to play. I think sometimes buyers of new basses often forget this (electric and acoustic). Not sure you will of course, but it's something to consider. This, as I'm sure you're aware can cost a small fortunate in itself. Also, you say you're teaching, I know it won't be a big issue, but a new bass will take time to get used too and could affect how you play for some time. Not much, but it's something to think about I guess.

If it were me, I'd invest the time and patience to get your instrument back on track with a good repair job. There's no reason that if it's done well, it will last another 120+ years!

Edited by derrenleepoole

Thanks Derren, I think the consensus is going to be stick with it. I'm just getting a bit frustrated with a whole summer of borrowing double basses to get by, and now it's looking like I'll be bass free over the autumn too. Plus, I'm fretting about how fragile my old bass is, considering how it is a bass that will travel to and from concerts etc, not just be kept in a room. Still, it is lovely, and the only one I've ever had!

Antique valuable basses are not my area at all, but it seems to me that if you try and sell/trade it the faults that have been found would reduce it's value and someone else would do the work and make a profit. However, if you were to replace the "plastic" wood with real wood the bass would then, surely become less fragile and more usable - and probably last another hundred years!

If I were in your position, I'd be tempted to get another bass for day to day use and keep your "antique" for the times you really need it.

Yeah surely if your current luthier does the business on it, it will be much easier to care for afterwards? If so I'd hang on to it and invest whatever you need to invest in getting it prepared properly. Especially if - as you say - it gets so many compliments and you're emotionally attached to it.

I was never one to go all goo-goo over bass guitars but I do get soft about double basses. It's like meeting peoples' dogs. :)

I would be tempted to keep your old bass and have it repaired myself also.

Just a thought though. If you did buy a new bass, have you seen a bass you would buy to replace it? I say that because it can take a good deal of time to actually find one you like. I just bought a new double bass and I selected it from 40 basses that i had to try to get to it. Im sure others have had swifter searches but that was just mine. Also it will take a while to sell your bass. The whole process could cost more money and take more time?

Thanks all. I hadn't really thought about the practicalities of getting a new bass, and in my heart of hearts I'd like to keep my old one. I was just getting nervous of how long this repair job is taking, and the repeated description of it being so 'fragile'. Thanks for taking the time to give me your opinion on this - it's sometimes hard to know what's for the best, and good to be able to discuss it with fellow bassists :)

• 2 weeks later...

My (1880 ish Markneukirchen) bass fell over and the finger board came off ... plus lots of things came loose inside. It cost (the insurance people) £1500 and two months for me to get it back .. but now it's a) much stronger, B) doesn't buzz.

It's still too big for my hands and I considered trading it in for a 3/4 size, but after months of looking and borrowing a "much better" bass for a month I decided to keep it (partly because the dealers were a bunch of profiteering crooks).

Go for it. Once you have a bass you like, stick with it.

How much would it cost to buy a bass equivilent to the one you have now? How much is the repair going to cost? My gut reation would be to stick with the one you have and get the repairs done properly. However if I really had to make the choice then it would come down to the pound figures attached to those questions and the state of my bank balance.

Steve

Thanks guys. You'll be glad to know that I haven't abandoned my poor ol' bass. The luthier has kindly given me a double bass to use until my old one is fixed, so the pressure is off! I can just leave him to do a good job, knowing that I've got an instrument to use for my rehearsals/concerts etc in the meantime. What a relief :)

Sell a kidney and do both (www.kidneys4u.com)

Seriously, though, I love the idea that owners of old instruments are merely 'temporary custodians' and have a duty to do the right thing. We will soon start seeing electric players starting to have the same dilemmas as their basses reach 50- 60 -70 years old etc (My Wal is 26 this year, a baby compared to yours but gettin older every day),

Good to see it working out.