Why become a member? ×

Portrait of Jaco

wombatboter

A fellow bass-player (thanks Nick) posted this on a Dutch bass-forum..
Some famous bass-players talk about the influence of Jaco..
Didn't want you to miss this ..great watch (hope this hasn't been posted before)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxqIbF4Pka8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxqIbF4Pka8[/url]

A great video, thanks for sharing. Love Jaco's playing (more so when he's playing solidly and not doing silly solos ;) and his writing and arranging skills were superb.

I have often wondered though, why do bassists who re-arrange and perform Jaco tunes, feel the need to nail his tone down all the time? I know that sounds like a silly question, but the Jaco big band albums done recently with guest bassists on them all sound like Jaco clones, rather than using their own voicing to play the tunes. Continuum would still be a great composition played on a fretted p-bass in the hands of a great musician, just as much as it is on a fretless. Is that too cynical?

I liked the Big Band album (the earlier one with MM et al on it). I thought that, for instance, Mr Miller sounded like MM rather than JP playing (I believe) Teen Town. Maybe an extreme example, but certainly, some of the other bassists also had their own 'feel', rather than just being Jaco clones.

[quote name='DaveFry' timestamp='1345726458' post='1780902']
There is meant to be a new documentary about him to be released next month .
" Jaco " , directed by Stephen Kijak , and financed by Robert Trujillo ( of Metallica ) a lifelong fan .

- :) Looking forward to that .....
[/quote]

+1000

[quote name='DaveFry' timestamp='1345726458' post='1780902']
There is meant to be a new documentary about him to be released next month .
" Jaco " , directed by Stephen Kijak , and financed by Robert Trujillo ( of Metallica ) a lifelong fan .

- :) Looking forward to that .....
[/quote]

Didn't Trijullo have something to do with Jaco's bass of doom being return when it was stolen?

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1345725333' post='1780878']
I liked the Big Band album (the earlier one with MM et al on it). I thought that, for instance, Mr Miller sounded like MM rather than JP playing (I believe) Teen Town. Maybe an extreme example, but certainly, some of the other bassists also had their own 'feel', rather than just being Jaco clones.
[/quote]

It was a very good album indeed, though Marcus Miller wasn't really a high point on it for me. Victor Wooten, Jimmy Haslip and Richard Bona on the other hand...

[quote name='derrenleepoole' timestamp='1345729666' post='1780988']

Didn't Trijullo have something to do with Jaco's bass of doom being return when it was stolen?
[/quote]
Yeah, a lot of people got confused and thought he was trying to keep the bass, but he located it and I think cover some legal fees to return it to the family. He is a HUGE Jaco fan, challenges Feraud for pro with biggest obsession with Jaco...