Why become a member? ×

The Fender American Standard Precision 5 String

Schnozzalee

Does anybody have one of these?? I had a craving for one a couple of years back but they seem to have been an anti climax! There's only Ed Friedland's review on youtube. I solved my craving by opting for a USA G&L L2500 - has that bass been the reason for it's lack of popularity??

Edited by Schnozzalee

I acquired one (with an added bridge jazz pickup which I rarely use) from a fellow Basschatter about a year ago. I absolutely love it! When I got it, it was competing with my SR5 and it easily keeps pace with that. In fact the two basses give me the best of old school passive and modern active tones (if you could only stick these two basses together it'd be dream bass territory!)

I really liked the Ed Friedland video BUT I think his fairly clinical playing style and tone didn't really show off the precision 5s best side; for me it really excels at fat 60s funk and Jamerson soul and fairly driven plectrum rock tones. It's got way more soul than Eds demo might suggest (and you never feel the need to change the strings!)

Downsides? I'm struggling. It's not got the fastest of necks, but that kind of misses the point. It's a very comfy neck for a 5 string. And the pickups are a bit wobbly in their fittings. But all in all I'm amazed everyone hasn't got one!
A.

I had one a few years ago. It was a very nice bass, sounded just like a P bass (naturally) should and the B string sounded fine IMO.
I did find the neck a bit slower than my Lakland's, that's just personal taste though.
I would love another although id be more tempted to look at the 5 sting Lakland P first.

Edited by dave_bass5

a friend of mine (dodge_bass) has one, sounds great (although i haven't played it i was just a punter at a gig) i think it's replaced his sadowsky as his main 5 string, to me it sounded like my beloved 77 p-bass (which i actually bought from dodge_bass) but with the added bonus of a low b. I now have serious GAS for a 5 string p-bass but am veering towards a sandberg rather than a fender as i fancy the added sounds of a vm5/pm5.

Matt

I could be wrong about this, but I think you will find that there haven't been any upgrades to the spec. of the five string American Standard Precision Bass for 2012. Where as the four string Am St. basses have been given Custom Shop pickups, the five string Precision and Jazz pickups remain unchanged , presumably because the Custom Shop don't make as standard a five string P or J pickup. So I presume the only upgrade has been to the price, unfortunately. I don't want to rain on anybodys parade, I just thought it was worth mentioning in case someone had presumed they would be getting new pickups . It still looks and sounds like a lovely bass to me, regardless.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1345553396' post='1778731']
I could be wrong about this, but I think you will fing that there haven't been any upgrades to the spec. of the five string American Standard Precision Bass for 2012. Where as the four string Am St. basses have been given Custom Shop pickups, the five string Precision and Jazz pickups remain unchanged , presumably because the Custom Shop don't make as standard a five string P or J pickup. So I presume the only upgrade has been to the price, unfortunately. I don't want to rain on anybodys parade,
[/quote]

you are right, that is correct

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1345553396' post='1778731']
I could be wrong about this, but I think you will find that there haven't been any upgrades to the spec. of the five string American Standard Precision Bass for 2012. Where as the four string Am St. basses have been given Custom Shop pickups, the five string Precision and Jazz pickups remain unchanged , presumably because the Custom Shop don't make as standard a five string P or J pickup. So I presume the only upgrade has been to the price, unfortunately. I don't want to rain on anybodys parade, I just thought it was worth mentioning in case someone had presumed they would be getting new pickups . It still looks and sounds like a lovely bass to me, regardless.
[/quote]

You are indeed right! I didn't actually check (on the grounds of not being all that fussed) so just assumed that the marketing applied :) No major... I like the pickup in my 2008-ish Am Std. 4, so I'm sure the 5 will be just fine. I'll still report back when it arrives!

I agree with all the comments - nice bass, good neck if a little slow and sounds like a P-bass with a low B. I've got my slung with flats - the B just gives me a bit more range, a thumb rest for when I'm playing on the E (!) and means the string spacing is a little tighter which makes it slightly easier to get around. Recommended if you want a 70's funk/soul P-bass kinda sound with a little more range!

Edited by dodge_bass

Hi,
i have one for sale:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/162729-fender-precision-american-deluxe-5/page__p__1493863__hl__fender%20deluxe%20precision__fromsearch__1#entry1493863"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/162729-fender-precision-american-deluxe-5/page__p__1493863__hl__fender%20deluxe%20precision__fromsearch__1#entry1493863[/url]
more pictures via mail!

[quote name='Zalan' timestamp='1346259422' post='1787164']
Hi,
i have one for sale:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/162729-fender-precision-american-deluxe-5/page__p__1493863__hl__fender%20deluxe%20precision__fromsearch__1#entry1493863"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry1493863[/url]
more pictures via mail!
[/quote]

<_< Probably worth reading the thread (or at least the title) rather than just posting indiscriminately.