Why become a member? ×

Shoulder pain. :(

thisnameistaken

So I've been having a bit of shoulder pain/muscle tightness in my right shoulder for a few weeks, which doesn't seem to be going away. I think it's a combination of factors; slouching infront of a computer all day at work; driving a car with no power steering, and it seems - judging by how my shoulder reacted this morning - playing double bass. :(

I'm a bit bummed out because I can't play bass guitar too much these days due to wrist tendon problems, but they don't seem to get inflamed at all from playing DB, so to find another injury cropping up on my other instrument is frustrating. I do tend to lean over the bass a bit so I suppose it's my fault. I've got generally crap posture too.

Just wondered if anyone's had anything similar and if it's worth seeing a doctor or if it's likely to bugger off by itself if I concentrate on improving my posture and playing position?

Just tried holding the bass in a different way but it's awkward... If I bring the bridge towards my body to make it less of a stretch to pluck for my right arm, the bass feels too upright and I am too close to it to get into thumb position easily. Not that I use thumb position much, but it would be nice to know it's there when I can eventually do it properly!

I wonder if my shoulder wasn't sick if this would be a problem. Maybe my position is actually OK and I just need to improve everything else I do.

I think staying strong and active is the key. Like yourself, I have a tennis elbow injury that is aggravated from computer work. I've been to pysio and between strong anti-inflammatory pills, ice and eccentric (not eccentric) exercises, the injury is starting to heal but preventative measures are the key. Have you seen a doc or physio about your wrist or shoulder? I'm now convinced that old age sucks and brings on more problems :P Maybe an exercise regime is the way forward?

There are numerous possible causes of your shoulder problem, which may, or may not, be bass related.

I would suggest you visit your GP and ask them to refer you to an experienced physiotherapist for assessment. If the GP resists your request, stress the importance of your wrist and shoulder to your musical career.

Oh, just one other thing. Threads like this will bring plenty of good will and advice. While support is valuable and the advice will be well - meant, it's no substitute for a proper assessment by a skilled practitioner.

All the best for a full and speedy recovery

T

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1345292293' post='1775935']
There are numerous possible causes of your shoulder problem, which may, or may not, be bass related.

I would suggest you visit your GP and ask them to refer you to an experienced physiotherapist for assessment. If the GP resists your request, stress the importance of your wrist and shoulder to your musical career.

Oh, just one other thing. Threads like this will bring plenty of good will and advice. [i]While support is valuable and the advice will be well - meant, it's no substitute for a proper assessment by a skilled practitioner. [/i]

All the best for a full and speedy recovery

T
[/quote]

+1 It's the only way forward that makes sense.

Good luck

Steve

you could try doing some loosening up exercises before, after and possibly between sets (as long as they aren't painful to do), I suffer from lower back pain (caused by many other things) which is exacerbated when I play DB, I find a bit of stretching and loosening off helps a lot.

If not, I've heard good things said of the Alexander Technique over on TB

Whatever you do, I hope it gets sorted

I used to get problems with my lower back but since trying my best to fit in an hour of exercise every day my lower back problems have gone away. I have worked on losing my gut and trying to keep myself in decent shape, but I think this might just be a posture thing. Hope I don't end up having to do yoga, my balance is terrible! I will end up with broken arms and legs!

I will try to fit in a trip to my GP next week. I did see her about my wrist tendons a couple of years ago but she basically advised me to try to manage it by avoiding over-use, which is what I'm doing. It's working to an extent in that I don't often get any pain in my wrists now, but it means I can't realistically play bass guitar every day.

I'm more interested in playing DB these days anyway so I don't want anything getting in the way of that.

Today it's changed. Weird. I've got the full range of motion back but I'm getting shooting pains between my neck and my shoulder, especially when driving my lousy car that has no power steering, and I had a nasty headache after a busy 1hr drive home today. Very odd. I'd had limited motion (painful lateral raising of the arm) for a couple of weeks but that's apparently OK now. Or much more OK than it was - it's no longer painful but feels a little tight around 90 degrees.

Will try to see a doctor ASAP.

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1345411615' post='1777287']
On the self-help strategy I seem to recall a book about Alexander Technique and Bass playing which might help. However my basic thought remains the same, see a doctor!

Steve
[/quote]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alexander-Technique-Approach-Double-ebook/dp/B004JKMSSE

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1345455213' post='1777583']May be think about a chiropractor too?[/quote]

Would be a last resort for me tbh. I'm firmly on the science side of the fence, especially when it comes to important things like... well, me!

[quote name='sarah thomas' timestamp='1345464747' post='1777728']
[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alexander-Technique-Approach-Double-ebook/dp/B004JKMSSE"]http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/B004JKMSSE[/url]
[/quote]

Cool, I might take a punt on that.

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1345483131' post='1778018']
Why ?
[/quote]

My Mrs had a car wreck ages ago and messed up her upper back and neck. Along with regular visits to her doctor, she visits a chiropractor regularly to keep things "loose" and she swears by it. She also does yoga. If other avenues aren't working, it's something else to try.

So what evidence have you observed or heard to suggest that a chiropractor will be able to solve the particular problems of the OP ?

Can you explain and support your clinical reasoning that leads you to recommend a chiropractor's services ?

Do you consider it reasonable to recommend the same treatment for all problems ?

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1345492566' post='1778197']
So what evidence have you observed or heard to suggest that a chiropractor will be able to solve the particular problems of the OP ?

Can you explain and support your clinical reasoning that leads you to recommend a chiropractor's services ?
[/quote]
Only evidence I can offer is experience from speaking with people I've know that have used chiropractors, osteopaths and physios as steps to alleviate pain so they could recover from injuries, many of them professional dancers who experienced injuries from the pounding their bodies took working in west end shows. Ultimately it's up to a person to research and educate themselves as to the risks involved with any treatment and decide what course may be taken. And as I mentioned in an earlier post, seeking medical advice is an important part of that decision. Some see chiropractors as a helpful alternative, some don't. ;)

I had similar problems with pain moving around and eventually it got so bad that I was having trouble sleeping and walking around like my arm was in a sling. My local GP got me some physiotheripy. I soon had a physiotherapist kneeling on my chest and causing me pain. I also got a whole lot of exercises to do and within a couple of months the pain dissapeared. My advice seek medical advice as my shoulder would never have recovered as quickly without it.

Cheers man I saw the doc this morning, he says it doesn't seem too serious so that's encouraging, but he didn't seem to know what the problem was. He thinks it's more muscular than tendons though so fingers crossed.

He's given me some advice about treating it (the usual; heat, painkillers, ibuprofen gel) and a form to refer me to a physiotherapist, which I'll sort out later today. It seems a bit worse today though, all sorts of clicking and grinding feelings when I rotate the shoulder. Trying my best not to use it at all but that's fairly impossible.

OK so I went and saw a physio today and he says I've got shoulder impingement syndrome. We're not sure what's causing it but my poor posture is a problem so he's given me some exercises to improve that and another appointment in a couple of weeks' time.

My shoulder hasn't been so bad today but I haven't driven for three days so I think it's the car that is causing the problem. He also said I shouldn't stop playing bass but I should try to find a way to play pizz without extending my right shoulder forward quite so much.

But overall it seems to be lousy posture causing the problem and not double bass, so that's a relief. :)

Cheers man. I've got a couple of gigs at a local festival tomorrow and done quite a lot of rehearsals with various people this week with no problems, so I'm less worried about the bass playing than I was. I do need to take the shoulder seriously though because it does get in the way when it flares up.

I'm not even 40 yet. Looking forward to seeing which other bits of me are broken by then...