Why become a member? ×

fender jazz - old versus new

lowdowner

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1344335426' post='1762864']And anyway, you can spend £1000 on a new USA Jazz ...... or between £500 and £800 on one which is 1 to 10 years old in decent nick.

I am unconvinced that you would be better spending an additional £1K or £2K on a bass that is 20 or 30 years old.[/quote]
I've played a lot of Fender basses, Precision and Jazz, over the years, and been ambivalent to their sound. I've owned a few also, and while I could say that I've enjoyed using the likes of an 80s Precision Special and an Elite 2, I'd not found anything remarkable about the '72 Jazz and '77 Precision, the Fender basses I held on to longest, so none survived in my collection for more than a few years. That changed around a year ago when I purchased a '66 Jazz, which had its original pickups and pots, although none of its original hardware or finish (body; neck finish was still original, and heavily worn). Sounded resonant and full played acoustically. Sounded even better plugged in. Having it refurbished and refinished was, possibly, taking a bit of a risk given that it sounded as good, but it needed new frets, and the "bespoke" finish was horrendous, and in time would have driven me to distraction. Now, it looks as good as it sounds, and I consider it exceptionally good value for the money - £1,800 all in. I'd consider it exceptionally good value at twice the price.

I'd agree that it depends on the individual instrument. Wood can be pretty inconsistent, as can many manufacturers QC. I love my 2011 American Special Jazz - I picked it over probably 15 other American/Mexican/Jap jazz basses, of various ages, as it just felt right to me. Pretty much all recent Fenders I have played have been great though, bar a Mexican 70's reissue Jazz...

Though, old Fenders do have a certain charm and I do like a well used Precision with a story to tell!

Edited by M@23

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1344559838' post='1766556']
I've played a lot of Fender basses, Precision and Jazz, over the years, and been ambivalent to their sound. I've owned a few also, and while I could say that I've enjoyed using the likes of an 80s Precision Special and an Elite 2, I'd not found anything remarkable about the '72 Jazz and '77 Precision, the Fender basses I held on to longest, so none survived in my collection for more than a few years. That changed around a year ago when I purchased a '66 Jazz, which had its original pickups and pots, although none of its original hardware or finish (body; neck finish was still original, and heavily worn). Sounded resonant and full played acoustically. Sounded even better plugged in. Having it refurbished and refinished was, possibly, taking a bit of a risk given that it sounded as good, but it needed new frets, and the "bespoke" finish was horrendous, and in time would have driven me to distraction. Now, it looks as good as it sounds, and I consider it exceptionally good value for the money - £1,800 all in. I'd consider it exceptionally good value at twice the price.
[/quote] where you find that?! the barras?

I bought a Fender Jazz Bass new in 1966, the date on the neck was 7th Apr 65 apparently it was a transition period bass made from existing stock after CBS took over, the number on the neck plate was L85004.
I got replies from all over the world when I sold it for £3500 around 8 years ago.
I missed it having bought it new but I'd moved on to 5 stringers and it was languishing in me wordrobe.

I recorded 16 songs with my new/old 78 Precision on Thurs. I`d played it a bit before I bought it, but this was a full recording session, and I instantly clicked with it. In contrast, I had a 2006/7 Precision that, although it was a great bass, played and sounded great, I just never got "that" from it, even though it was my main gigging bass for a fair time.

I`m certain it`s not just that it`s old that influenced my thoughts with my 78, a whole days recording, where I just had a daft smile on my face all the time, well if I`d been disappointed with it, that wouldn`t have happened. So far, for me, US 70s Precisions are the ones to beat - memo to self, don`t try any 60s ones, you can`t afford them.