Why become a member? ×

A few of my basses

Jean-Luc Pickguard

I've finally got around to taking some pics of some of my basses. A couple of guitars crept in as well.

A 90s Danelectro Longhorn, just like the 50s ones (but with a trussrod)

'81 Precision cherry sunburst

Bitzer fretless built from a brandoni neck & body with fender hardware & kent armstrong pickup

1990 MIJ "jamerson" style '62 RI

'2003 Highway1 Jazz with Badass bridge, Kent armstrong Jazz lipstick pickups, J-Retro, Tort pickguard & Hipshot D-Tuner
(why do red basses not photograph well?)

'71 Musicmaster

CIJ Mustang with Chandler "aged pearl" pickguard - currently my main gigging bass

Epi TBird Alpine White

CIJ '72 RI Tele Thinline with Chandler B/W/B pickguard

Stratacoustic - great fun and plays nicely once shimmed

[quote name='BassManKev' post='186689' date='Apr 27 2008, 07:46 PM']i love the 81 p :)[/quote]
You probably wouldn't if you felt the weight of it :huh:
The body is made of heavy "baseball bat" Ash so it could be effectively used as the anchor for a medium sized fishing boat. Lovely colour & grain pattern though.

Love the Musicmaster, especially in that colour! Never been too keen on the scratchplates though, I'd be tempted to swap it for a Mustang-style 'plate and control plate combo. Is that a neck pocket on it a little too wide too? I have a similar problem on my Jazz.

[quote name='jono b' post='187320' date='Apr 28 2008, 04:10 PM']Is that a neck pocket on it a little too wide too? I have a similar problem on my Jazz.[/quote]
That's how they made them in '71 - doesn't seem to make any difference to the playability though.
I wanted to get a CIJ mustang in the same blue, but ended up getting the vintage white one instead.

[quote name='paul, the' post='187759' date='Apr 29 2008, 03:25 AM']Hot gear. It's great to hear that a Mustang is your workhorse. Why do you prefer it?
I want to try a short-scale again soon.[/quote]
I bought it as I wanted something very similar to the musicmaster which could be used with my string of choice, thomastik flats. I've put a set of TI JF324 on it which are too long for the musicmaster, but are perfect on the mustang doe to the thru stringing. The neck seems to be thinner than the vintage mustangs I've tried, very much like a short jazz neck making it very fast & effortless to play.

[quote name='paul, the' post='187759' date='Apr 29 2008, 03:25 AM']How does the lipstick'd jazz sound?[/quote]
Its very versatile and it seems to be impossible to dial in a sound I don't like. I think this probably has more to do with the John East circuit as the pickups though.