Why become a member? ×

How to record youtube covers?

Evil Undead

So, I want to record videos of some of the songs I can play and stick them up on youtube for the world to mock :D

But I don't know how to do it.

I have a webcam on my notebook, I guess that's a start, but how do I get video, audio from my bass, and the song I'm playing along with all in one video?

I'm a massive technophobe so be gentle and explain stuff in the most basic terms :D

Thanks

Oh yeah, I also have an iphone and I use amplitube app on there - I can record through that and can also record my bass track on top of a song but there's no video so I guess that's irrelevant.

I use an audio interface (Lexicon Alpha) to record my bass over a song using Cubase or Reaper, and record video at the same time using my phone. Then i throw the video onto the PC, edit it so the audio is the track that i've made with Cubase, and voila, a bass cover, sounding like this

Liam

Edit: Please excuse the huge c*ck up in the second pre chorus.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIaEoqz5qCs&feature=BFa&list=ULHPnNGaGF2Oc[/media]

Edited by LiamPodmore

First, absolutely avoid recording through a webcam's mic, that's the worse thing to do :)

I don't know if you can get the recorded audio files from amplitube to the computer, but if you can, you can then synchronize the file with the original song (with bass mostly EQ'ed out). As for video, you need to use some video editing software to cut the sound from your recorded video and then sychronize your final sound file with the video.

That's not the most efficient way to do it, but that's the way I do it.

The best way of course is to have a sound card with instrument input and record everything at once and have a perfectly finished video, but this takes some preparation, and also you can't work on your sound afterward.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knhJ2GZ248Q"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knhJ2GZ248Q[/url]

Edited by Darkmeteor

I'm in the process of starting recording videos for youtube too. I've now got all the bits but haven't got around to making a proper video yet.

This is what I'll will be using:

For the [b][u]bass signal[/u][/b] I have bought a Behringer USB Guitar link which allows me to play my bass on my laptop, via either the bass direct or else via the line out on my amp. This only cost a couple of quid on ebay. It also came with the Guitar Rig software which you could use to emulate a bass amp if you can't hook the amp up.

For the [b][u]music[/u][/b] I will be using the "Amazing Slow Downer" software. This allows me to cut the bass from the song....the only downside being that the bass drum is cut also. I first heard of this software on BC and it's really great. You can slow down songs, cut/boost bass, change pitch etc..

For the [b][u]video[/u][/b] I have bought a Kodaz Zi8 camera. This has an internal mic input that allows me to record HD video along with high quality sound from the laptop, i.e my bass playing and the song. I believe that these are the only affordable cameras that have a mic input, however they are no longer made so can cost a few quid. I think I paid in the region of 70 shipped from Germany.

So with these components I'll play along to the song while recording via the camera. The finished product is ready to be uploaded to youtube with no editing involved.

I know this isn't the cheapest option, but the camera is pretty good so will get plenty of use for other things.

One thing.... if you're going to be recording yourself on youtube please wear a t-shirt!! :lol:

I will be wearing a shirt! I have boobs for starters, and am more than a little overweight. No-one wants to see that!

Thanks guys. I am gonna take some time to read your answers a few times and digest them as I must admit I still don't really know what I'm doing or how to do it ;)

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1343329723' post='1749131']
I will be wearing a shirt! I have boobs for starters ....
[/quote]
Best reply ever! PMSL :D

(And now I'm waiting for Discrete to come along and say "ooh, boobs for starters, eh? What do you have for the main course?")

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1343334308' post='1749250']
(And now I'm waiting for Discrete to come along and say "ooh, boobs for starters, eh? What do you have for the main course?")
[/quote]

My boss is gonna get suspicious if I keep bursting out with laughter like this :lol:

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1343558489' post='1751993']
Would my Behringer BDI21 work as an audio interface?
[/quote]
you need something with USB or similar.
If you get like a Zoom b2/b3 pedal, they have USB outs.... anything like that usually works

Having seen your video and having now only read your profile I've just realised you are a woman!! My earlier comment about wearing a tshirt probably seems really offensive :blush:. I was referring to the many disturbing youtube videos of topless guys! I'm sure you've seen them, medicocre bass players shirtless for no apparent reason!! The good ones are always fully clothed!

[quote name='pobrien_ie' timestamp='1343642473' post='1752907']
Having seen your video and having now only read your profile I've just realised you are a woman!! My earlier comment about wearing a tshirt probably seems really offensive :blush:. I was referring to the many disturbing youtube videos of topless guys! I'm sure you've seen them, medicocre bass players shirtless for no apparent reason!! The good ones are always fully clothed!
[/quote]

I'm not offended in the slightest! I knew what you meant :)