Why become a member? ×

Had a great weekend tracking Plux's band - now with link to mixed tracks

51m0n

Spent the weekend introducing Plux's band (Slow Motion Sickness) to the joys of multitracking.

I rarely get to do much tracking these days, and I tend to forget how much I enjoy the challenges that are specific to this side of the recording art. These guys have never (with the exception of Plux) been multi-tracked, hell they've never used decent kit before. Their appreciation of what they were offered, and their sense of real joy at the results they have captured made my weekend really fantastic.

An excellent weekend, full of genuine teamwork and talent from the band. Looking foward to getting to mix the results as soon as possible!

For those who cant be bothered to scroll, here's the linky:-

[url="http://soundcloud.com/51m0n-1/sets/slow-motion-sickness-e-p-1/s-u42Wa"]Slow Motion Sickness E.P[/url]

Edited by 51m0n

• 4 weeks later...

Well we are starting to get there. Two out of three tracks are very very close - just a little tidying up to do, third track is proving (far) more elusive to nail, and there's a lot more to tidy up in it, but overall I'm pretty pleased with the results so far...

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1343400094' post='1750209']
Should get the individual tracks over this weekend (getting them off the H24s is a slow and boring prcess involving ftp - :()

Then the real fun (for me) starts, as I turn them into finished pieces.

Can't wait!
[/quote]Si I have a Fireport that makes the machine like an attached HD if that helps in the future - and frankly as I can't remember the last time we used the machine I probably ought to sell it anyway.

I got it after spending three hours transferring 16 tracks for a song that was no more than 4 minutes long off the machine by FTP the first time

It's an Alesis adat HD24 Fireport 1394 like [url="http://www.studiospares.com/digital-convertors/alesis-hd24-fireport-1394-interface/invt/219920/"]THIS[/url] Works a treat and mahooosively quicker than the ftp route

Edited by WalMan

• 3 weeks later...

Right, anyone interested in hearing the final mixes (as yet unmastered) can feel free to go and have a listen here:-

[url="http://soundcloud.com/51m0n-1/sets/slow-motion-sickness-e-p-1/s-u42Wa"]Slow Motion Sickness E.P[/url]

Hope you enjoy it.

A brief word of warning, these young scallywags do like the use of lyrical profanity so the lyrics are possibly NSFW, and almost certainly not safe for little ones....

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1347357224' post='1799655'] Right, anyone interested in hearing the final mixes (as yet unmastered) can feel free to go and have a listen here:- [url="http://soundcloud.com/51m0n-1/sets/slow-motion-sickness-e-p-1/s-u42Wa"]Slow Motion Sickness E.P[/url] Hope you enjoy it. A brief word of warning, these young scallywags do like the use of lyrical profanity so the lyrics are possibly NSFW, and almost certainly not safe for little ones.... [/quote]

I like them :) Release Easy is my favourite. Definitely an early RHCP vibe and there's much Frusciante influence in the guitar. Production is very nice, I like the dry kit, but I would like the guitars to be a bit dirtier, it needs a but more filth. Great stuff though and Eth has a really nice voice.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1347475209' post='1801423']
I like them :) Release Easy is my favourite. Definitely an early RHCP vibe and there's much Frusciante influence in the guitar. Production is very nice, I like the dry kit, but I would like the guitars to be a bit dirtier, it needs a but more filth. Great stuff though and Eth has a really nice voice.
[/quote]

i agree it feels like the guitars need a bit more beef to be on a par with the vocal

all said nice mix sounds great :D

Plux played bass, he didnt sing lead just lots of the BVs :) Release Easy is his favourite too!

Like the guitar clean(ish) beautiful guitar tone, custom tele -> Cornford (just breaking up on the chords) ->sm57 -> API channel strip + Cascade Fathead II (Lundahl) -> Joe Meek 6Q

Guitarist specifically wanted clean rather than dirty, went as far as I could toward dirty whilst remaining clean...

Cheers!

Punchy and clean (as in you can hear everything, there's all sorts of saturation going on to help with that which always seems a bit counter intuitive) and also as close as I could get to sounding like a band just plying songs was what I was after.

And yes, they're apparently 'stoked' since the mix sounds 'sick' - I think thats supposed to be a good thing, but didn't want to double check in case I was wrong :D.....