Why become a member? ×

Guess the Bass! First one correct MAY win a Prize!

Eljay

[quote name='Eljay' timestamp='1342803469' post='1741320']
You do realize that that kind of BS makes you appear a fool & a coward, don't you?? Not clever, but like being an ass.
You don't??
You should.
Really.
[/quote]

I [size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]ain't afeert of no dang critters. Specially none that knows as much about etiquette as a hog does a hip pocket in a bathing suit. :D[/font][/size]

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1342806380' post='1741376']
I [size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]ain't afeert of no dang critters. Specially none that knows as much about etiquette as a hog does a hip pocket in a bathing suit. :D[/font][/size]
[/quote]

Of course you're not "afeeert."

Because your 6000 miles away, and can say whatever you want behind your Aberdeen keyboard.

You can even say you're a skilled bassist, a post an avataar with flying fingers! That shows it!

You stalking me? DO you LOVE me???
Sorry I hit your sweet spot there, Braveheart! B)
Now, if we were in a pub; face-to-face, that would be different :lol:
You'd probably (I say "probably" mebbee not, your type) be civil. Maybe not. Who knows, who cares.

'Appy day in Scotland to ya! :P

Tick tock tick tock :lol:

[quote name='Eljay' timestamp='1342803469' post='1741320']
You do realize that that kind of BS makes you appear a fool & a coward, don't you?? Not clever, but like being an ass.
You don't??
You should.
Really.
[/quote]

Didn't mean to get you fired up, maybe we should just simmer down, and stop oven fun. This is a serious game after all.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1342812338' post='1741485']
Didn't mean to get you fired up, maybe we should just simmer down, and stop oven fun. This is a serious game after all.
[/quote]

I can throw BS with the best of 'em, even better.
BUT- when someone takes a cheap shot, they show their true colors.
Such a shame; with a thread that started out by me, to be of good cheer.
What's the response to that from the Cheap-Shotters?

English good etiquette seems to have left the door for some.

Here's a short English story:

Hopefully interesting and funny:

Picadilly Circus, I needed an ATM, London isn't cheap!

So a Black dude, Afro-American whatever, with his son approached the machine at the same time.

1) He looked like Miles Davis
2) He says in a beautiful English Accent:
"I say, would you prefer to go ahead of me in the queue? I may have to be awhile."

Now first of all, back here, he would say so to speak, "What's up, Dawg? You need to go first, bro?" Maybe IF he were polite, like this Brit was.

Secondly he was wearing a "Spurs" T-shirt, so I said:

"You like the (San Antonio Texas NBA) Spurs??"

"No;" he says, they're a FOOTBALL club!"

Nah, they ain't the Bears, or the Jets,... anyway.

I really loved England, all I saw. The best.

WTF with some of you?

Huh?? really.

Edited by Eljay

[quote name='Eljay' timestamp='1342812786' post='1741494']...
BUT- when someone takes a cheap shot, they show their true colors.....
[/quote]

Please, without any name calling or getting side tracked into anything else dodgy can you explain the "cheap shot"?

[i]Is it an Aga? [/i]
[i]Rayburn? [/i]
[i]Shortscale? Hmmm. It's a Parkray. [/i]

[i]You're struggling with the range of makes suggested? I think people's brains are really cooking to guess this one. [/i]

Well, I saw a lot of things of interest in Britain- and Ireland. Both times Castles, of course, the Tower of London, the list is looong.
. But I must say I didn't get into much of a study of Ranges and Stoves.

The Jerry Jones ShortHorn, and the Gretsch SpectraSonic are amazing basses. That's why I post on Bass Forums, both here, at home in the USA, and abroad.
I LIKE things bass, and btw, it;s the slow season for Strap Sales here, I'm trying to round up gigs for my R&B band inc. England, God-Willing; that's a tough itinerary to make happen.

Sometimes, when I'd google a piece of gear, the spiders would list "BassChat UK" as a source, and that's waht happened the other day when I went to play the 2011 FCS Borracho bass- SO I joined and partook.

Plus as I've posted many times- Besides a deep connection with my Dad (RIP)- He spent over 6 months in a Hospital in England, blinded from Battle and missing a finger, with shrapnel in his butt that stayed there until they took it out 20 years after the War!!!
He was also stationed in Rostrevor Ireland, and I had quite the chats with some Irish about that.

I keep on my bureau his Shilleleigh, given to him when he was over there- It's beautiful, hand carved with a Shamrock; I had a Bass strap made with that Image.

So- He loved England, told me several funny stories about his interfacing with the Brits, as I traveled tothere, I have my own.
Another reason I wanted to post here.

At heathrow, I sat next to an older couple, wh told me they toured Scotland, on a train, formal dress every night!

"Wow! that's the way to see the country!" I thought-haha.

Would love to visit there too, along with Northern Ireland, more of Wales, etc. etc. Big World.

So the cheap shot, under the guise of humour, was to sub a name of a range and sit back and chuckle whilst the Yank don't know what we're saying.

Hey I get it... I played for a lot of Frat parties in the day;, I know the drill.

Still- the follow-ups were cheap shots, low-brow, not in good cheer. IMO, the way I see it, no name-calling intended with this statement.

Me, If I think someone is a dumb-ass, or I'm not interested in their threads, ideas, statements etc. - I won't post.
I won't start a what we call a "cluster-****" pile-on. Not my style, but we all have different styles, musically or other-wise.

I don't EVER start "fights" virtually or otherwise, but I don't lie down for BS either, and have no problem with calling things as I see 'em.

That's what I thought the cheap shot was. I'm certain if I extended the efforts, I could have come up with some American slangs that those in the UK wouldn't get, but that's not what I'm about.

If those involved enjoyed their little prank, glad to have provided a laugh at my expense. In the end I have (2) great basses that I'm happy to post about, better yet- to bring the [b][i]funk[/i][/b] with them.

More than anything else., that's what I'm about....

Edited by Eljay

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1342817649' post='1741590']
The stove references are pertaining to a thread from a few days ago. It's like saying "I don't know" on here. Nothing cheap, nothing personal. Just our humour.
[/quote]

Gotcha.
I'm only (an AMerican) Human.

Thanks.

You'll get it in the end, lah. I know on Talkbass they're either one end of the spectrum or the other, either all smiles or throwing down like internet hardmen... we're a different breed. We take the piss from the word go, and you're going to get some of it. Just think of it like a big game of [i]tag[/i], or something, as the banter goes round; and don't get too hung up on it.

I remember Reggie Hunter pulling a few of these differences into the light...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oce28VRfY7k

[quote name='Eljay' timestamp='1342817713' post='1741593']...I'm only (an AMerican) Human...[/quote]

Good evening, Elijay...

Perhaps it's time for someone here to extend a 'Welcome', and 'explain' some of the 'rules'. We have several overseas folks here (I'm not in Britain, myself...), so please don't feel singled out. Posts here are started by the OP (obviously...), but he/she has little/no control from then on. Some posts are echos from previous subjects, or make (sometimes obscure, sometimes mistaken...) references to other participants, with their quirks and foibles, as 'ragging', or jesting. As with all chicken coops, there is a heirarchy, or 'pecking order'; some of our members ([i]there, I said it..![/i]) are well known for their cutting edge and style of 'humour'. Occasionally (but not often...), there will be a clash of opinions, depending on subject, but mostly the back-and-forth here is in good spirit, to be taken as banter, not a personal attack. I think I am safe in affirming that, if you were, for whatever reason, to be 'ganged up on' (heaven forbid..!), you would certainly be aware of the difference. (Please don't try this for a lark...).
Yes, we understand that, as a 'noobie' here, you won't pick up all the subtle nuances, but be assured that we are not, from the outset, sniggering at you. You are not being bullied. Take it on the chin, scratch your head, and laugh at the crazy crew here who have mostly a hearty complicity, won over time, and an unfortunate way with words of times.
([i]Of course, being of 'Yankee' culture is not playing in your favour, but we are, in general, a forgiving lot[/i]... :lol: ).
Hope this helps; no malice intended.
Meanwhile...

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1342825964' post='1741736']
Good evening, Elijay...

Perhaps it's time for someone here to extend a 'Welcome', and 'explain' some of the 'rules'. We have several overseas folks here (I'm not in Britain, myself...), so please don't feel singled out. Posts here are started by the OP (obviously...), but he/she has little/no control from then on. Some posts are echos from previous subjects, or make (sometimes obscure, sometimes mistaken...) references to other participants, with their quirks and foibles, as 'ragging', or jesting. As with all chicken coops, there is a heirarchy, or 'pecking order'; some of our members ([i]there, I said it..![/i]) are well known for their cutting edge and style of 'humour'. Occasionally (but not often...), there will be a clash of opinions, depending on subject, but mostly the back-and-forth here is in good spirit, to be taken as banter, not a personal attack. I think I am safe in affirming that, if you were, for whatever reason, to be 'ganged up on' (heaven forbid..!), you would certainly be aware of the difference. (Please don't try this for a lark...).
Yes, we understand that, as a 'noobie' here, you won't pick up all the subtle nuances, but be assured that we are not, from the outset, sniggering at you. You are not being bullied. Take it on the chin, scratch your head, and laugh at the crazy crew here who have mostly a hearty complicity, won over time, and an unfortunate way with words of times.
([i]Of course, being of 'Yankee' culture is not playing in your favour, but we are, in general, a forgiving lot[/i]... :lol: ).
Meanwhile...
[/quote]

[b]EDITS MADE:[/b] [b](IN BOLD)[/b]

Thanks, although I wasn't fortunate enough to be born English [b]OR FRENCH[/b]
, as I stated before, the Country charmed the freakin' heck outta me. [b]SO DID FRANCE[/b]
Don't know if I'd want to leave sunny SoCal to expat, but truthfully, I would love to go back, and am trying to do so as we speak.

My humblest apologies for crashing the local with fists flying if that's what it seemed; it wasn't.[b] Although it might not be a bad idea at times.... :lol:[/b]

[i]if someone takes the 'p' they're normally hoping to enjoy an equal or better expression of wit in response, not some holiday snaps. [/i]

Now THIS- a great example of something, because I'm REALLY not sure what's being said! (Not being a smart-ass either) :lol:
[b]OKAY, I got it now, just took awhile.[/b] [b]Thing is, I'm too dangerous/Intense with MY wit sometimes[/b]

Not sure whether the advice is Fer or Agin me, but either way, I'll try &...behave better if I've transgressed.
[b]Don't think it was fer OR agin me, just words of wisdom...Or Parlimentary Procedure[/b]

...Which actually I'm not sure I have either! :lol:
[b]Now that I re-think...I didn't- I was right-effin' ON![/b] :lol:

Edited by Eljay

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1342825964' post='1741736']
Good evening, Elijay...

Meanwhile...
[/quote]

This is probably my favourite post of yours of all time, & should be pinned............ though to be fair all the rest of them have been crap!

;) :P :lol:

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1342908799' post='1742742']
This is probably my favourite post of yours of all time, & should be pinned............ though to be fair all the rest of them have been crap!

;) :P :lol:
[/quote]

[i]though to be fair all the rest of them have been crap![/i]
Tough Crowd.

It's my favorite post of yours, too Dad, but to be fair it's also the only one I've ever read.

I've not only had it "pinned", I've had it printed into T-SHIRTS that are available for sale, along with Bass Guitar Straps, and Kitchen Furnishings at my Website:

www.AGA-RayburnUSA.com

I accept all currencies, Yankee Dollars, British Pounds Sterling, Euros, also will trade for English bass guitars.

Edited by Eljay

Despite my curiosity I haven't looked in here for a day or so but it looks like we's all friends now an sheet? Good - I was feeling kind of uneasy there. It's like my old mum used to say - 'play nicely with your friends dear.'

Anyhoo - put me down for one o' them there t-shirts fella!