Why become a member? ×

Disappointing - guitarist jacked it in

Stag

Hi chaps

Just had a disappointing email from the guitarist in my originals project (kinda 90's grunge feel) saying he doesnt want to do it any more. Thats a bit of a bolt from the blue to completely jack it in, but i know he feels we should be doing more and have made faster progress and that clearly has made him think twice about it.

We were rehearsing once a week and after a few months rehearsals had six written. Not a lot of songs admittedly but this is due in no small part to a number of factors like pre-planned holiday, work, etc etc - there has never been a lame excuse to cancel rehearsals.... the singer sometimes very rarely has to work nights but the rest has been holidays.

With the covers band im in still limping along (and also now in the process of having to rehearse in a new drmmer after the drummer left to join an outfit closer to his house) it means i was rehearsing twice a week as it was. I dont think i was being unreasonable to say i didnt have the time to do more than one a week?

Anyway, i dont really know what to do about it all. Find another guitarist? Play the guitar myself and keep writing things while finding a bassist (i was writing things on guitar)? Jack it in totally? Given that the previous chap had written half the stuff its a little daunting to think ive got to get writing again, and quickly... as i wouldnt want to continue working on his songs, which is a shame as they were good. I also struggle to write "songs", but can certainly write a good riff with a hook.

Any thoughts you have would be welcome, esteemed bass brothers. :(

Hey mate! Sorry to hear this! That really sucks! My gut feeling at the moment is that if you have material you like and the other band members are still up for it, then start advertising for a guitarist right away? One that is in to the same music and wants to write. You might find someone cool just round the corner!

P.s. keep writing ideas in the meantime. Take a guitar to rehearsals as well and come up with ideas with the band mates as it'll keep everyone focussed as well as feeling like things are still moving forward.

I'd say if you are happy playing bass then carry on playing bass. Find a new guitarist and keep the band going...these things take time, and you gotta keep at them.

Having said that, if you are considering jacking the whole project in, maybe you are having doubts yourself? But even if that's the case, it would still be worthwhile trying some new guitarists as they will add their own flavour and that may spark the whole project back into life...

Good luck with it dude.

I found, when in a similar situation, when writing all the songs, that jumping to guitar was the better option, as I found it virtually impossible to get anyone to play the guitar riffs how I wrote them. Whereas I could easily get a bassist to play what I had written.

Sorry to hear this, it's hard not to take it as a personal blow when something like this happens, but more often than not it has to do with their head state at the time more than anything else. I agree with the others, get another guitar player, unlike us bassists they are 10 a penny ;) And keep writing in the meantime!