Why become a member? ×

Fender Japan Jazz

alant

Newly advertised on Gumtree - looks a good deal to me, but I'm no expert:

[url="http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/fender-62-reissue-sunburst-jazz-bass-made-in-japan/106899346"]www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/fender-62-reissue-sunburst-jazz-bass-made-in-japan/106899346[/url]

[quote name='mckendrick' timestamp='1342534364' post='1736713']
Indeed. Far too good to be true, is that. It's an alder body and big tuners, so... it'll have a spiral bridge and US pick-ups. That's a very minimum £450 bass.

I'm so intrigued, I've replied.

I shall go with great caution.
[/quote]

it doesn't need to have. There are two japanese '62ri models- one with spiral bridge, US pickups and alder body and one with jap pickups and basswood body. Depending on the age it may or mayn't have the spiral bridge. Tuners on both will be jap (metric) sizes needing a smaller hole in the wood than a american (imperial measurement) size one.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1342539208' post='1736811']
it doesn't need to have. There are two japanese '62ri models- one with spiral bridge, US pickups and alder body and one with jap pickups and basswood body. Depending on the age it may or mayn't have the spiral bridge. Tuners on both will be jap (metric) sizes needing a smaller hole in the wood than a american (imperial measurement) size one.
[/quote]

My 62 reissue had the spiral saddles and the larger size vintage tuners with the normal 18mm peg size with a strap button on the back of the headstock. It also had the copper earthing strip going from the bridge to the copper pickup plates (which is the way they used to earth jazzes back in 62). If it doesn't have the large vintage tuners and the spiral saddles it's not a 62 reissue (lots of other Japanese Jazzes still have the copper earthing strip).
But it doesn't really matter because this supposedly MIJ Jazz is going for Squier money which makes it awfully suspicious. I'm sure I saw this the other day on ebay and it was going for about £400/£500. Possibly somebody has just lifted the photos off ebay and tried to lure an innocent punter to their doom...........we'll see.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1342541239' post='1736850']
My 62 reissue had the spiral saddles and the larger size vintage tuners with the normal 18mm peg size with a strap button on the back of the headstock. It also had the copper earthing strip going from the bridge to the copper pickup plates (which is the way they used to earth jazzes back in 62). If it doesn't have the large vintage tuners and the spiral saddles it's not a 62 reissue (lots of other Japanese Jazzes still have the copper earthing strip).
But it doesn't really matter because this supposedly MIJ Jazz is going for Squier money which makes it awfully suspicious. I'm sure I saw this the other day on ebay and it was going for about £400/£500. Possibly somebody has just lifted the photos off ebay and tried to lure an innocent punter to their doom...........we'll see.
[/quote]

there are two main models of Japanese reissues. the JB62 and the JB62US both will have strap buttons on the headstock, spiral saddles, copper earthing strip etc. I've not measured the tuners but as far as I am aware they are the same on both models.
The difference is that one has alder body and US made pickups and the other has basswood and japanese pickups. Both are 62ri

To be honest, this is on gumtree, if you're local and have the money I would go and have a look, if it isn't what he says it is you don't have to buy it. nae loss there.

I have five 62 reissue Jap Jazz basses on board at the monment and, across the five, none have details consistent with the next, although THREE of them are the same as the THREE grades currently on the Japanese catalogue - not including the medium scale, the [i]current[/i] fretless (a la Jaco), the PJ, or the WAL models. I also have a fretless which in 1995 was marketed as a 'standard' but which carries all the Jap 62 re-ish basic model details yet has the silver coloured Fender logo without [i]marque[/i] details consistant with standard series Jazzes. You're sort of right.... but you're also sort of wrong.

Anyway, none of that pedantic wrestling is the point of this post, the point of this post is to inform that I replied to the Gumtree add offering to travel to Brighton to meet and to inspect the bass. I didn't get a reply....

....but note the instrument has been [i]taken off[/i] Gumtree.

Like [color=#282828]gjones[/color], I'm quite sure I'd seen those same pictures before.

Edited by mckendrick