Why become a member? ×

Dipping my toe into the upright market.

Jambo10

I had been thinking of trying an electric upright....so, rightly or wrongly I managed to get the Stagg 3/4 EUB.
So....as I am new to the whole upright playing shenanigans....

can anyone give me any rights or wrongs, do's or don'ts, or even any tips that would help my technique?

Just basically doing the same with an ordinary bass, but in a different position!

But, any wee tricks and hints always welcome.

Thanks for the chat Kevin....you're a star!

Shall be perusing the other threads on here relating to basics as well, cheers.

Couple of basic things that you might already know but are worth mentioning...

1) The height of the EUB needs to be adjusted so that your eye is level with the first position (so an F on the E string).
Not only does it give you a good reference point, but it'll save neck\shoulder ache.

2) Don't try to play using the tips of your fingers like you do on a bass guitar.
Let your fingers point down the direction of the neck and use the side of your finger to pluck the string.

3) If you play intricate little runs then get close in to the bass - pull it into your chest\belly.

The best advice I can give is just enjoy the new experience. Pound for pound the Stagg is the best value in the EUB market and it's a very effective instrument. Try to do without the markers because the higher you go up the fingerboard the more iffy the intonation becomes. You'll get used to it very quickly.

[quote name='Jambo10' timestamp='1342297601' post='1733075']
I had been thinking of trying an electric upright....so, rightly or wrongly I managed to get the Stagg 3/4 EUB.
So....as I am new to the whole upright playing shenanigans....

can anyone give me any rights or wrongs, do's or don'ts, or even any tips that would help my technique?
[/quote]

I have a Stagg. So far I've learned:

Stick some foam under the strings below the bridge.
Keep your left elbow up.

Enjoy!